Generic Name and Formulations:
Primaquine phosphate 26.3mg (equivalent to 15mg base); tabs.
Indications for PRIMAQUINE:
For the radical cure (prevention of relapse) of vivax malaria.
1 tab daily for 14 days.
Severe G6PD deficiency. Acutely ill patients suffering from systemic disease manifested by tendency to granulocytopenia (eg, rheumatoid arthritis, SLE). Concomitant hemolytic or bone marrow suppressive drugs, quinacrine. Pregnancy.
Perform G6PD testing prior to initiation. Mild-to-moderate G6PD deficiency or unknown G6PD status: assess risk vs. benefit; if considered, monitor hbg/hct at baseline, at Days 3 and 8 of therapy; have medical support available. Discontinue if signs of hemolytic anemia occur. History of favism. Perform routine CBCs during therapy; in those with history of hemolytic anemia or nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) methemoglobin reductase deficiency; monitor closely. Risk for QT prolongation in cardiac disease, long QT syndrome, history of ventricular arrhythmias, uncorrected hypokalemia and/or hypomagnesemia, or bradycardia (<50bpm); monitor ECG. Elderly. Females of reproductive potential should exclude pregnancy prior to initiation and use effective contraception during and after stopping treatment until completion of on-going ovulatory cycle; males should use condoms during and for 3 months after therapy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Caution with concomitant other drugs that prolong the QT interval.
Nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, abdominal cramps, leukopenia, cardiac arrhythmia, dizziness, rash, pruritus.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- Medical Terms in Patient Education: Using the Confusing to Explain the Complicated
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- Androgen-Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer May Cause Nocturia, Sleep Disturbance
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Ciprofloxacin Plus Doxycycline Reduces Infection Rate in Multiple Myeloma Post-ASCT
- Prognostic Significance of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Expression in Glioma Patients
- Fathers Can Pass Inherited Ovarian Cancer Risk to Daughters
- Modified XELIRI Noninferior to FOLFIRI for OS in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Nabilone Improves Cancer-Associated Anorexia in Lung Cancer
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|