Generic Name and Formulations:
Acarbose 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for PRECOSE:
Adjunct to diet in type 2 diabetes, alone or with insulin, metformin, or a sulfonylurea.
Take with first bite of each main meal. Initially 25mg three times daily; increase at 4–8 wk intervals if needed. Or, (to minimize GI effects): initially 25mg once daily, increase gradually to 25mg three times daily. Range: 50–100mg three times daily. ≤60kg: max 50mg three times daily; >60kg: max 100mg three times daily.
Ketoacidosis. Cirrhosis. Inflammatory bowel disease. Colonic ulceration. Partial or predisposition to intestinal obstruction. Chronic intestinal disease with marked disorders of digestion or absorption. Conditions that may deteriorate from increased intestinal gas formation.
Significant renal dysfunction (serum creatinine >2mg/dL): not recommended. Use glucose, not sucrose, to treat hypoglycemia. Stress. Monitor 1-hour postprandial glucose initially and during titration, then glycosylated hemoglobin. Monitor serum transaminases every 3 months during 1st year and periodically thereafter. Pregnancy (Cat.B): consider insulin instead. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with drugs that cause hyperglycemia (eg, diuretics, steroids, estrogens, phenothiazines, thyroid products, phenytoin, niacin, sympathomimetics, calcium channel blockers, isoniazid). Antagonized by intestinal adsorbents (eg, charcoal), pancreatin, amylase, other carbohydrate-splitting enzymes. Monitor digoxin; and for hypoglycemia if used with insulin or a sulfonylurea. May result in unreliable measurements of 1,5-AG assay; use alternative methods to monitor glycemic control.
Transient flatulence, diarrhea, abdominal pain.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|