Generic Name and Formulations:
Hemin 350mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion (7mg of hematin/mL after reconstitution); contains sodium carbonate 240mg, sorbitol 335mg; preservative-free.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for PANHEMATIN:
Amelioration of recurrent attacks of acute intermittent porphyria temporally related to the menstrual cycle in susceptible women, after initial carbohydrate therapy is known or suspected to be inadequate.
Limitations Of use:
Intended to prevent an attack from reaching the critical stage of neuronal degeneration. Not effective in repairing neuronal damage.
Consider carbohydrate loading (eg, 400g glucose/day for 1–2 days) before initiation. If improvement unsatisfactory, give 1–4mg/kg/day of hematin via IV infusion over at least 30mins for 3–14 days. In more severe cases, this dose may be repeated no earlier than every 12hrs. Max 6mg/kg of hematin per 24hrs.
<16yrs: not established.
Administer into large arm vein or a central venous catheter to avoid phlebitis. Contains human plasma; monitor for possible infection transmission (eg, viruses, Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease agent). Monitor iron and serum ferritin in multiple administrations. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (avoid in severe pre-eclampsia). Nursing mothers.
Avoid CYP-inducing drugs that increase the activity of δ-aminolevulinic acid synthetase (eg, estrogens, barbituric acid derivatives, steroid metabolites). Avoid concomitant anticoagulants.
Delta-aminolevulinic acid synthetase inhibitor.
Headache, pyrexia, infusion site reactions, phlebitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Risk for Cardiovascular Disease Higher in Survivors of Testicular Cancer
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- Age Not a Deterrent to Immunotherapy for Malignant Melanoma
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Patients With Head and Neck Cancer Have Greater Chance of Being Prescribed Opioids
- Medical Terms in Patient Education: Using the Confusing to Explain the Complicated
- Bedside Assessment Tool Improves Worst Pain in Patients With Cancer
- Androgen-Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer May Cause Nocturia, Sleep Disturbance
- USPSTF Rates Ovarian Cancer Screening a D for Asymptomatic, Low-Risk Women
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|