Behavior assessment tool (BPAT) measures pain in critically ill patients who cannot communicate verbally.
Nicotinamide riboside, a type of B3 vitamin, was shown to prevent chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy in an animal-model study.
A single 8-Gy dose of radiotherapy for painful bone metastases may improve quality of life and pain as early as 10 days after administration.
Cancer survivors who reported chronic neuropathic pain 5 years after diagnosis were approximately 50% less likely to retain their jobs than those without chronic neuropathic pain.
Sublingual fentanyl is used to manage breakthrough pain in adults with cancer who are already receiving opioid therapy for underlying persistent cancer pain. In this study, researchers evaluated the effect of low doses of sublingual fentanyl in patients who are receiving low opioid doses for background analgesia.
Patient abuse of opioids costs the U.S. economy $78.5 billion a year, including the costs of health care, lost productivity, and treatment programs.
Approaches such as acupuncture, massage, and tai chi may ease discomfort when other therapy fails.
Pain response—sensitivity and tolerance—after use of active cannabis differs between men and women.
Cancer survivors who are nonwhite, less educated, older, and/or have comorbidities were less likely to receive adequate cancer pain management.
Massage therapy may be promising for reducing the intensity/severity of pain, fatigue, and anxiety in patients with cancer.
Despite the infrequency of urine drug test ordering, greater than half of all urine drug tests results were abnormal among outpatients with advanced cancer.
Methadone appears to be superior to fentanyl for the treatment of neuropathic pain in patients with head and neck cancer.
Recurrent disease, second malignancy, late-onset treatment effects should be assessed in patients with new pain, according to the new guidelines.
Risk factors for chronic pain after breast cancer surgery include axillary lymph node dissection, younger age, and radiation therapy. Only axillary lymph node dissection is a high-yield target for a modifiable risk factor to prevent the persistent pain after breast cancer surgery.
Managing pain with opioids and keeping a close eye on adverse effects is an important part of cancer care. But there is room for improvement in pain management tools, and nurses play a key role in their evolution.
Quality of life for patients with oral cancer can be dismal due to cancer-related pain. An NIDCR grant is supporting the investigation of a nonviral gene delivery method for treating oral cancer pain safely and effectively.
Recent research using rats indicates that gene therapy might treat the neuropathic pain that affects 90% of patients with cancer.
Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) is associated with less postoperative pain and better quality of life than anterolateral thoracotomy for the first year of surgery in patients with stage I NSCLC.
All opioids are currently recommended for breakthrough cancer pain and clinicians may use the opioid of their choice.
Treatment of breakthrough cancer pain is an important component of care for patients, and nurses should consider various factors when titrating the dose of fentanyl sublingual spray to an effective dose.
Neurofeedback Training Enables Cancer Survivors to Control Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral NeuropathyApril 01, 2016
Chronic pain was decreased and quality of life was increased through neurofeedback.
Despite its prevalence in patients receiving taxane-based chemotherapies, taxane acute pain syndrome (TAPS) remains poorly researched.
Moderate to heavy drinking might cut the likelihood of disability for people with chronic widespread pain.
Researchers have found that combined use of antidepressants and NSAID painkillers is associated with an increased risk of bleeding.
Reciprocal relationship between cancer and neurons at play in tumor proliferation and pain sensitization.
A regional anesthetic technique in combination with standard care could potentially spare a third of women undergoing a mastectomy chronic post-operative pain, according to study data.
Patients with advanced cancer often do not attain adequate pain relief from optimized chronic opioid therapy.
Researchers assessed the extent to which pain severity influenced prognosis in patients with newly diagnosed head and neck cancer.
Rates of death resulting from opioid analgesic overdoses are lower in states that allow medical use of marijuana compared with states without such laws.
Electroacupuncture may reduce comorbid symptoms of pain in women with breast cancer who have aromatase inhibitor-related arthralgia, according to research.
- Immunotherapy May Benefit Some Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
- Screening Recommendations for Children with Common Cancer Predisposition Syndromes
- Significance of Prostate Cancer Treatment-Related Factors Differ in Black, White Men
- New Study Questions Standard Dosage for Treating Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Superior Tolerability, Efficacy With Alectinib in Treatment-Naïve ALK-poistive NSCLC
- Survivorship Care Plans: Providing A Blueprint for Health Care After Cancer
- Cancer Recurrence Fear Reduced by Novel Psychological Intervention
- Multifaceted Role of the Nurse Navigator Includes Palliative, Supportive Care
- Patient Navigators Found to Boost Lung Cancer Screening Rates
- Lack of Transfusion Services a Barrier to Hospice Care for Patients With Blood Cancers
- Aspirin Use May Lower Breast Cancer Risk in Women with Diabetes
- Ethnic Differences, Cultural Barriers Negatively Impact Mammography Follow-up Among Asian Ethnic Groups
- Study Questions Safety of E-cigarettes vs Regular Tobacco Cigarettes
- Changes in Pulmonary Function Tests in Breast Carcinoma Patients Treated With Locoregional Post-mastectomy Radiotherapy: Results of a Pilot Study
- Increases in Liver Cancer Incidence Influenced by Higher Rates of Comorbidities
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|