Sublingual fentanyl is used to manage breakthrough pain in adults with cancer who are already receiving opioid therapy for underlying persistent cancer pain. In this study, researchers evaluated the effect of low doses of sublingual fentanyl in patients who are receiving low opioid doses for background analgesia.
Almost 15 percent of older adults surveyed used high-risk methods for obtaining prescription opioids, according to a recent study.
Approaches such as acupuncture, massage, and tai chi may ease discomfort
Pain response—sensitivity and tolerance—after use of active cannabis differs between men and women.
Methadone appears to be superior to fentanyl for the treatment of neuropathic pain in patients with head and neck cancer.
Recurrent disease, second malignancy, late-onset treatment effects should be assessed in patients with new pain, according to the new guidelines.
Risk factors for chronic pain after breast cancer surgery include axillary lymph node dissection, younger age, and radiation therapy. Only axillary lymph node dissection is a high-yield target for a modifiable risk factor to prevent the persistent pain after breast cancer surgery.
Managing pain with opioids and keeping a close eye on adverse effects is an important part of cancer care. But there is room for improvement in pain management tools, and nurses play a key role in their evolution.
Health experts note that opioids are prescribed too often, possibly because of poor training, and U.S. medical schools are expanding training to address the issue.
Quality of life for patients with oral cancer can be dismal due to cancer-related pain. An NIDCR grant is supporting the investigation of a nonviral gene delivery method for treating oral cancer pain safely and effectively.
ASCO Statement Seeks to Balance Prescription Opioids for Patients With Cancer and Misuse and Abuse PreventionMay 31, 2016
ASCO addresses the complex issues surrounding prescription opioids in a new policy statement. ASCO supports the efforts of multiple federal offices and agencies to prevent and respond to prescription drug abuse, and is also working to protect access to appropriate medical opioid therapy for patients with cancer.
Recent research using rats indicates that gene therapy might treat the neuropathic pain that affects 90% of patients with cancer.
All opioids are currently recommended for breakthrough cancer pain and clinicians may use the opioid of their choice.
Treatment of breakthrough cancer pain is an important component of care for patients, and nurses should consider various factors when titrating the dose of fentanyl sublingual spray to an effective dose.
Nasal spray effectively relieves intense breakthrough pain associated with radiotherapy planning and treatment.
Neurofeedback Training Enables Cancer Survivors to Control Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral NeuropathyApril 01, 2016
Chronic pain was decreased and quality of life was increased through neurofeedback.
Providing your patient with the opportunity to tell his or her story helps to ensure that the goals of treatment are defined and met.
What are the most effective treatments for MS pain in patients with co-existing cancer?
Despite its prevalence in patients receiving taxane-based chemotherapies, taxane acute pain syndrome (TAPS) remains poorly researched.
Pain management of pancreatic head adenocarcinomas that are unresectable: Celiac plexus neurolysis and splanchnicectomyAugust 14, 2015
[Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology] This articles outlines pertinent anatomy, techniques, side effects, complications, and efficacy of interventions for palliation of pain from pancreatic cancer.
Moderate to heavy drinking might cut the likelihood of disability for people with chronic widespread pain.
Reciprocal relationship between cancer and neurons at play in tumor proliferation and pain sensitization.
A new role for conformal radiotherapy is evolving. Targeted treatment can offer effective palliative management of pain and other side effects of cancer.
Music, nature sounds, and the combination of both were effective in decreasing pain and anxiety in patients with cancer on hospice.
A regional anesthetic technique in combination with standard care could potentially spare a third of women undergoing a mastectomy chronic post-operative pain, according to study data.
Listening to music or audiobooks has a profound impact on postoperative pain perception in children. The benefit is increased when the patients are allowed to choose their own music or stories.
Rates of death resulting from opioid analgesic overdoses are lower in states that allow medical use of marijuana compared with states without such laws.
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to enact tough new controls on painkillers containing hydrocodone, which has been tied to a surge in addictions across the United States.
Electroacupuncture may reduce comorbid symptoms of pain in women with breast cancer who have aromatase inhibitor-related arthralgia, according to research.
A newly developed opioid antagonist may offer relief from opioid-caused constipation.
- Acupuncture Improves Postoperative Symptoms in Women Undergoing Surgery for Breast Cancer
- Prehabilitation Program Improves Preoperative Fitness in Patients With Colorectal Cancer
- Alcohol Consumption, Particularly White Wine, Associated With Increased Risk of Melanoma
- Combination of Gemcitabine and New CHK1 Inhibitor Is Effective in Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Omitting RT in Certain Older Women With Early Breast Cancer is Safe
- Exercise is as Effective in Treating Metastatic Prostate Cancer as Medication
- Walnut Consumption Changes Gut Microbiome, Decreases Growth of Colon Cancer in Mice
- Vaccine Enters Phase I Study for Safety and Effectiveness in Multiple Myeloma
- Timing Chemotherapy Administration to Circadian Rhythm Improves Drug Effectiveness
- New Therapy Blocks Breast Cancer Cells From Entering and Hiding in Bone Marrow to Form Latent Metastases
- Community Breast Navigation Program Improved Breast Screening Rates in Underserved African American and Latino Women
- Live-streamed Videos Address End-of-Life Planning, Decision-making
- Metastatic Disease Linked to Patients Reporting Diminished QoL
- History of Bilateral Salpingo-oophorectomy, Hormone Replacement Therapy Are Predictive of Breast Density at Cancer Diagnosis
- Mammographically Occult Contralateral Breast Cancer Detection is Effective With Preoperative MRI
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|