Nearly 3 in 10 cervical cancer survivors were still using opioids at 6 months after completing radiotherapy.
Drug abuse may cause an unusual short-term memory syndrome
This study assessed whether the implementation of a patient educational program would improve patterns in the use, storage, and disposal of opioids among cancer outpatients.
Patient abuse of opioids costs the U.S. economy $78.5 billion a year, including the costs of health care, lost productivity, and treatment programs.
Almost 15 percent of older adults surveyed used high-risk methods for obtaining prescription opioids, according to a recent study.
Despite the infrequency of urine drug test ordering, greater than half of all urine drug tests results were abnormal among outpatients with advanced cancer.
Methadone appears to be superior to fentanyl for the treatment of neuropathic pain in patients with head and neck cancer.
Managing pain with opioids and keeping a close eye on adverse effects is an important part of cancer care. But there is room for improvement in pain management tools, and nurses play a key role in their evolution.
Health experts note that opioids are prescribed too often, possibly because of poor training, and U.S. medical schools are expanding training to address the issue.
Much of the risk related to long-acting opioids is tied to cardiovascular complications, not overdoses.
ASCO Statement Seeks to Balance Prescription Opioids for Patients With Cancer and Misuse and Abuse PreventionMay 31, 2016
ASCO addresses the complex issues surrounding prescription opioids in a new policy statement. ASCO supports the efforts of multiple federal offices and agencies to prevent and respond to prescription drug abuse, and is also working to protect access to appropriate medical opioid therapy for patients with cancer.
A newly developed opioid antagonist may offer relief from opioid-caused constipation.
In advanced cancer patients receiving opioids, methylprednisolone does not add to analgesic effect.
How should myoclonus be managed in patients taking high-dose opioids?
Prescribers of extended-release/long-acting opioid analgesics are encouraged to participate in continuing medical education provided by manufacturers of these analgesics.
To assist industry in developing new formulations of opioid drugs with abuse-deterrent properties.
In the U.K., patients older than 60 years less likely to receive prescription versus those younger than 50 years.
Opioid-induced constipation is not adequately addressed by nurse practitioners and physicians, according to research presented at the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) Connections: Advancing Care Through Science conference.
Patients who had their opioids managed by clinic nurses who used an opioid titration protocol had more opioid titrations than those who had their opioids managed by standard care, which was their oncologist.
Drugs that inhibit mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) stopped radiation-induced damage in mice by protecting cells crucial to tissue repair.
Subcutaneous ketamine as adjunct to opioids has no clinical benefit but does increase toxicity.
Although opioid-based painkillers are a standard treatment for relieving cancer pain, they may actually contribute to disease progression.
Methylnaltrexone improves bowel function compared with conventional rescue laxatives.
What exit strategy do you recommend for discontinuing opioid therapy?
Intracerebroventricular (ICV) infusion of opioids is effective for treatment of refractory pain in terminal patients with low incidence of adverse events.
The results of a recent survey suggest that pain-related knowledge and practice may not be up to par within the oncology community.
An exclusive worldwide agreement gives Salix Pharmaceuticals licensing rights to Relistor (methylnaltrexone bromide), a treatment for opioid-induced constipation.
Palliative care interventions should be introduced at diagnosis as a part of disease management rather than not until the end of life, suggests a review of cancer pain management.
Roxane Laboratories has made labeling and product-packaging changes to its morphine sulfate oral solution 100 mg per 5 mL (20 mg/mL) due to accidental overdoses that resulted in adverse events and deaths.
A tablet delivering transmucosal fentanyl, Abstral is indicated for the management of breakthrough pain in adult cancer patients who are already using opioids around the clock.
- Novel Blood Test Detects Cancer, Locates Tumor Without Invasive Procedures
- Cabozantinib Activates Innate Immune Response, Eliminating Prostate Cancer
- Shorter Treatment of Breast Cancer with Trastuzumab May Lead to Improved Results
- Colorectal Cancer Rates Increased Sharply Among Generation X and Millennials
- Pneumonia Associated With Common Cold May Cause Fatal Illness in Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Early Palliative Care Reduced ICU Use in Patients With Advanced Cancer
- Ginger Extract Raises Antioxidant Levels in Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy
- Nurse Navigators Improve Physician Engagement in Pretreatment Discussions
- Screening Increases Early Palliative Care, Reduces Aggressive EOL Measures
- Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer (Fact Sheet)
- Genome Sequencing Explains Resistance to CTLA-4 and PD-1 Inhibitors in Metastatic Melanoma
- Lifestyle Choices Have Greater Influence on Colon and Rectal Cancer Risk
- Kidney Cancer Metastases in Lung May Hide Undiagnosed Primary Lung Cancer
- Nasal Biomarker in Smokers Could Predict Lung Cancer
- Arm Lymphoscintigraphy After Axillary Lymph Node Dissection or Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Breast Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|