Oncology Nursing Society
Is it within a nurse's scope of practice to flip a port over with a physician's order?
The Oncology Nursing Society has released a joint position statement on key issues surrounding the implementation of screening programs for psychosocial distress in cancer centers.
"4MAT" education can help individualize and optimize patient use of an evidence-based skin care protocol based on the ONS Putting Evidence into Practice guidelines for radiation dermatitis, found research presented at the ONS 38th Annual Congress.
A new position statement from the Oncology Nursing Society urges oncology nurses to incorporate new genomic information into practice and patient education.
The ONS Leadership Competencies provides a means for self-assessment and a foundation for future leadership education.
Over the trajectory of chemotherapy treatment, school-age children appear to develop resilience to fatigue.
A composite measure assessed peripheral neuropathy induced by vincristine reliably and with validity.
Two new instruments are valid and reliable in identifying risk factors and ostomy complications.
A nutritional education program for patients with gastrectomy improved knowledge, oral intake, adherence to diet guidelines, and patient satisfaction compared with patients who received usual nutrition education.
ONS Connections: Decreased sexual interest most common persistent and bothersome symptom in breast cancer survivorsNovember 18, 2012
Breast cancer survivors reported that decreased sexual interest was the symptom causing the most significant bother.
ONS Connections: Computer-tailored intervention increases colon cancer screening in low-income black patientsNovember 18, 2012
A computer-tailored intervention was more effective than a brochure at increasing the completion of fecal occult blood tests and moving low-income black patients toward action.
ONS Connections: Pretreatment depression, anxiety, and poor physical functioning associated with non-adherence to hormonal therapy in breast cancer patientsNovember 18, 2012
Taking a lower percentage of prescribed doses of hormonal therapy was associated with higher pre-therapy levels of depression and anxiety and with poorer physical functioning.
Gaps in evidence-based practice exist, even within an oncology nursing workforce that is well-educated and experienced.
Adopting oncology pathways within the practice setting of oncology nurses has the potential to improve patient outcomes and quality of life.
A needs assessment tool can identify specific needs of caregivers of patients with a primary malignant brain tumor.
An end-of-life pathway can enhance the ability of oncology nurses to provide high quality care at a crucial time for patients and families.
ONS Connections: Symptom clusters identified in patients with head and neck cancer after chemotherapyNovember 17, 2012
Two clusters of symptoms, one specific to head and neck cancer (HNC) and one related to gastrointestinal symptoms, were identified in patients with HNC.
ONS Connections: Neck disability and depressive symptoms linked in patients with head and neck cancerNovember 17, 2012
Neck disability and depressive scores were significantly correlated among patients with head and neck cancer.
Opioid-induced constipation is not adequately addressed by nurse practitioners and physicians, according to research presented at the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) Connections: Advancing Care Through Science conference.
Lymphedema in patients with head and neck cancer can be described through an instrument that has been developed and validated.
Patients who had their opioids managed by clinic nurses who used an opioid titration protocol had more opioid titrations than those who had their opioids managed by standard care, which was their oncologist.
A dinner conversation among nurse colleagues led to an organized effort to help nurses in the Indian Health Service provide better health care.
More than 3,000 oncology nurses gathered in New Orleans for the 2012 Oncology Nursing Society Annual Congress.
- More Than Half of Melanomas Are Self-Detected, Especially by Women
- Childhood Cancer Linked to Poor Diet Quality in Adult Survivors
- New Research Identifies Potential Bladder Cancer Chemotherapy Side Effect
- Olaratumab in Combo With Doxorubicin Approved for Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Hydroxyurea May Improve Kidney Function in PV-Associated Nephrotic Syndrome
- Overall Benefits of Vaporized Nicotine Products Outweigh Harms, Says International Panel of Experts
- Nurse Residency Programs Can Impact Oncology Nursing Practice, Outcomes
- Implementing a Distress Screening Process for Cancer Patients
- Initiating Palliative Care in the Emergency Department
- Exercise is as Effective in Treating Metastatic Prostate Cancer as Medication
- Study Identifies Factors Associated With Infection-related Complications in ALL
- Immune Checkpoint-Related Neurotoxicity May Be More Common During Combination Treatment
- New Recommendations for Secondary Prevention of Cervical Cancer
- Nonadherence to Posttreatment Imaging Follow-up Common Among Breast Cancer Survivors
- HIIT Improves Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Patients With Resectable NSCLC
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|