Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentamidine isethionate 300mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for inhalation after reconstitution. To be used with the Respirgard II nebulizer.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for NEBUPENT:
For prevention of Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia (PJP) in high-risk, HIV-infected patients defined by one or both of the following criteria: 1) a history of one or more episodes of PJP; 2) a peripheral CD4+ lymphocyte count ≤200/mm3.
>16yrs: 300mg once every 4 weeks administered via the Respirgard II nebulizer. Dose should be delivered until nebulizer chamber is empty (approx. 30–45 minutes).
≤16yrs: not recommended.
Exclude the presence of PJP before starting prophylaxis therapy. History of smoking or asthma. May induce bronchospasm/cough; administer inhaled bronchodilator prior to giving NebuPent dose; do not use Respirgard II nebulizer to administer a bronchodilator. Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Do not mix with other drugs. Additive effects with concomitant other nephrotoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides, amphotericin B, cisplatin, foscarnet, vancomycin); monitor closely or avoid if possible.
Night sweats, GI upset, anemia, bronchitis, herpes, herpes zoster, flu, oral Candida, pharyngitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infections, headache, chest pain, cough, wheezing, bad taste; monitor closely for serious adverse reactions: hypotension, hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, hypocalcemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, hepatic/renal dysfunction, ventricular tachycardia, pancreatitis (discontinue if occurs), Stevens-Johnson syndrome, hyperkalemia, abnormal ST segment; rare: extrapulmonary pneumocystosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- Medical Terms in Patient Education: Using the Confusing to Explain the Complicated
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- Androgen-Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer May Cause Nocturia, Sleep Disturbance
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Ciprofloxacin Plus Doxycycline Reduces Infection Rate in Multiple Myeloma Post-ASCT
- Prognostic Significance of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Expression in Glioma Patients
- Fathers Can Pass Inherited Ovarian Cancer Risk to Daughters
- Modified XELIRI Noninferior to FOLFIRI for OS in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Nabilone Improves Cancer-Associated Anorexia in Lung Cancer
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|