Naloxone HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Naloxone 0.4mg/mL, 1mg/mL; IV, IM or SC inj; amps (paraben-free); vials.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Naloxone HCl:
Reversal of opioid depression, including respiratory. Diagnosis of acute opioid overdose.
See full labeling. Post-op: 0.1–0.2mg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response. Overdose: 0.4–2mg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins; if no response after 10mg reevaluate. Both may require repeated doses depending on duration of narcotic activity.
See full labeling. Post-op: 0.005–0.01mg/kg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response. Overdose: 0.01mg/kg initially; if inadequate response give 0.1mg/kg body weight. Neonates, post-op: 0.01mg/kg, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response.
Known or suspected opioid dependence; abrupt reversal may precipitate acute withdrawal syndrome. Monitor patients with satisfactory response due to long duration of some narcotics. Post-op use in pre-existing cardiac disease. Have other resuscitative measures available. Renal or hepatic insufficiency. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with cardiotoxic drugs. Incomplete reversal of buprenorphine or pentazocine; may require higher naloxone dose.
Reversal of opioid depression: nausea, vomiting, sweating, tachycardia, increase BP, tremulousness, seizures, ventricular tacychardia and fibrillation, pulmonary edema, cardiac arrest. Also, excessive naloxone doses in post-op: reversal of analgesia, agitation.
Formerly known under the brand name Narcan.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- Medical Terms in Patient Education: Using the Confusing to Explain the Complicated
- Androgen-Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer May Cause Nocturia, Sleep Disturbance
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Ciprofloxacin Plus Doxycycline Reduces Infection Rate in Multiple Myeloma Post-ASCT
- Prognostic Significance of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Expression in Glioma Patients
- Fathers Can Pass Inherited Ovarian Cancer Risk to Daughters
- Modified XELIRI Noninferior to FOLFIRI for OS in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Nabilone Improves Cancer-Associated Anorexia in Lung Cancer
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|