Using the Kessler nonspecific mental/psychological distress scale, investigators examined whether AYA cancer survivor experienced greater mental distress and assessed their access to mental health care.
Serious mental illness can both challenge and compromise cancer care. To ensure these patients receive optimal cancer care, the oncology team should include the patient's mental health care team.
Having a recent cancer diagnosis is associated with an increased risk for some mental health disorders and increased use of psychiatric medications.
Navigators need to be aware of the signs and symptoms of cognitive and emotional distress and be able to determine which patients and family members need to be managed more closely.
Health care system and societal factors are critical components leading to health disparities, as revealed in a new report that focuses on cancer in people with mental illness.
Women with a mental illness are less likely to be screened for breast cancer, according to new research.
Women with symptoms of serious mental illness are significantly less likely to receive routine cancer screening.
Patients diagnosed with breast cancer, head and neck cancer, and malignant melanoma are particularly at risk for disorders such as anxiety or depression.
Intervention with distress monitoring and needs assessment not shown to improve outcomes.
ONS Connections: Neck disability and depressive symptoms linked in patients with head and neck cancerNovember 17, 2012
Neck disability and depressive scores were significantly correlated among patients with head and neck cancer.
- Blood Test Predicts Stem Cell Transplant Success in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Immunotherapy and the Future of Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Pembrolizumab Active Against Rare Melanoma, Extends Survival in Bladder Cancer
- Elderly with NSCLC Can Tolerate Aggressive Radiation Therapy Treatments
- Women Treated for DCIS Have Slightly Lower Risk for All-Cause Mortality
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Lung Cancer Screening Rates Low Among Present and Former Smokers
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Pediatric Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Challenges and Solutions
- Earlier and Later Adult BMI Associated With Multiple Myeloma Risk
- Cost-Effectiveness of Immunotherapy for Advanced Melanoma Evaluated
- VBPWPs Can Compliment Patient Management in Clinical Trials
- Communication Technology Improves Treatment Burden, Patient Perspective of Oncology Care
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|