Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitrofurantoin (as macrocrystals and monohydrate) 100mg; caps.
Indications for MACROBID:
Susceptible acute uncomplicated UTIs.
Take with meals. 100mg every 12hrs for 7 days.
Anuria, oliguria, CrCl <60mL/min. Neonates <1 month of age. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy at term. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction associated with nitrofurantoin.
Not for treating pyelonephritis or perinephric abscesses. Discontinue if pulmonary reactions, hepatic disorders, or hemolysis occurs. Renal insufficiency; monitor (esp. in elderly). G6PD or Vit. B deficiency. Anemia. Diabetes. Electrolyte imbalance. Monitor renal function and pulmonary condition in long-term use. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Reduced absorption by magnesium trisilicate. Uricosurics (eg, probenecid, sulfinpyrazone) may inhibit tubular secretion. May cause false (+) glucose test with Benedict's or Fehling's solution.
Nausea, headache, flatulence, dizziness, alopecia; C. diff-associated diarrhea, pulmonary disorders, hepatic damage, hemolytic anemia, peripheral neuropathy (may be irreversible), anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias; rare: exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, aplastic anemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|