Von Willebrand-Related Test Abnormalities
Low value for von Willebrand factor (vWF) and/or ristocetin cofactor (RCoF) or values in the low end of these normal ranges with a history of mild bleeding affecting males and females in the family suggest von Willebrand disease (vWD).
vWD could be type 1, 2A, 2B, 2M, 2N, or 3.
A person with blood type O who does not have vWD, since persons with blood type O have a mean vWF of only about 75% of normal.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
RCoF, vWF, and factor VIII level (factor VIII level often decreases along with the other 2).
In type 1 vWD, RCoF and vWF are suppressed approximately equally and mildly abnormal.
In type 2, vWF is typically greater than or equal to 15% greater than RCoF, and the values for both are in the 20% range or lower.
In type 3, both of these values approximate 0.
Fibrinogen is an important measurement, because it is an acute phase reactant.
Fibrinogen elevation suggests that RCoF and vWF levels do not represent the patient's true baseline values and that a repeat test at a later time is necessary.
Obtain blood type: mean value for vWF varies with blood type.
VWF multimer analysis by agarose gel electrophoresis and Western blotting is useful when there is a high likelihood of non-type 1 vWD.
Desmopressin (DDAVP) stimulation test (except if the patient has type 2B or platelet type vWD) may be useful to determine if DDAVP can be used clinically to treat vWD.
In the test, samples for RCoF and vWF are taken before DDAVP administration and then again 60 minutes after completion of a 30-minute infusion of DDAVP.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
- Whole Genome Sequencing Reveals that 12% of Childhood Cancer Survivors Have Mutations in Genes that Increase Cancer Risk
- Increased 5-Year Survival Rate Seen in NSCLC Subset Treated With Nivolumab
- Novel Test For Multiple Myeloma Uses Microchip, Conventional Blood Sample
- Health Care Expansion Tied to Increased Rates of Surgical Treatment of Thyroid Cancer
- Including Informal Caregivers of Elderly in Discharge Process Reduces Readmission Risk
- Exercise, Psychological Interventions Better for Cancer Fatigue Than Medications
- ASCO Issues Global Guidance for HPV Vaccination for Cervical Cancer Prevention
- Discharge Events Improved With Standardized Inpatient Palliative Care Consultation
- Little Opposition to Early Palliative Care for Symptom Management in Pediatric Oncology
- Physical Activity Improves Outcomes for Patients with Breast Cancer and Survivors
- Use of Counseling, Surgery Rates Show Limited Physician Knowledge of Breast Cancer Genetic Testing
- Family History Does Not Exclude Active Surveillance as Treatment Option for Prostate Cancer
- Beans, Whole Grains in Diet Beneficial for Colorectal Cancer Survivors
- Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer Responds to Abiraterone Acetate in Some Cases
- Shifts in Cancer Burden for People With HIV Projected
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|