Positive Serologic Test for Hepatitis B Virus (HBV)
Hepatitis B virus infection
False-positive serologic test for hepatitis B virus
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Acute hepatitis B
Patient is positive for IgM antibody to HBV core antigen.
Patient is usually positive for hepatitis B surface antigen and hepatitis B virus e antigen. Presence of the e antigen indicates a high degree of infectivity.
Patient is likely to be positive for serum HBV DNA; level can be followed to assess response to therapy.
Chronic hepatitis B
Liver function tests, especially aminotransferases, are likely to be elevated for more than 6 months.
Hepatitis B surface antigen is positive for more than 6 months.
Chronic cases are also positive for anti-HBV core antigen as total antibody or as IgG.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
- Blood Test Predicts Stem Cell Transplant Success in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Immunotherapy and the Future of Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Trends in Behaviors, Medical Practice Indicate Mortality From Melanoma Will Decline
- Pembrolizumab Active Against Rare Melanoma, Extends Survival in Bladder Cancer
- Elderly with NSCLC Can Tolerate Aggressive Radiation Therapy Treatments
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Nut Consumption Inversely Associated With Lung Cancer Risk
- Pediatric Patients, Parents Overreport Adherence to ALL Medication Regimen
- E-cigarettes and Replacement Nicotine Therapy Safer Than Tobacco Use
- National Health Care Spending Expected to Grow Five Percent Annually
- Patients With Urologic Cancer Need Psycho-oncologic Support to Manage High Stress
- 1 Year of Adjuvant Trastuzumab Improves Long-Term DFS in Early Breast Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|