Low Serum or Plasma Glucose – Hypoglycemia
Reactive hypoglycemia is usually observed in diabetics but also is found in nondiabetics following ingestion of a high-carbohydrate meal.
Pts w/ hypoglycemia caused by an insulin-producing tumor may have signs & symptoms associated w/ malignancy.
For surreptitious insulin injection, seek a history of insulin use or access to insulin.
For excess administration of sulfonylurea drugs, seek a history of use of or access to these drugs.
For impaired liver function, seek clinical evidence of impaired liver function.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Blood glucose level <50 mg/dL, coincident w/ symptoms that are reversible within 15 to 45 min of the administration of glucose in the absence of cerebral edema
C-peptide level. Pts have high levels of insulin synthesis & secretion of this portion of the pro-insulin molecule should be detectable in the blood at high levels
Elevated blood insulin Surreptitious insulin administration: insulin is elevated but C-peptide level is not because the insulin in the blood was not synthesized from proinsulin in the pt's pancreas.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- FDA Issues Warning for Rolapitant Injectable Emulsion in the Treatment of CINV
- Risk Factors for Arterial, Venous Thrombosis Differ in Polycythemia Vera
- Resolving Vaginal Dryness in Women With a History of Breast Cancer
- BRCA Mutation Improves Prognosis for 2-year Survival in Younger-onset TNBC
- Identifying the Psychosocial Needs of Young Adults With Metastatic Cancer
- Pertuzumab Regimen Approved for Adjuvant, Neoadjuvant Therapy in Specific Breast Cancers
- Common Oncologic Emergencies That Occur With Multiple Myeloma
- Artificial Sweeteners and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Blueberry Extract May Boost Efficacy of Radiotherapy for Cervical Cancer
- Dietary Estrogens Reduced Efficacy of Novel Breast Cancer Therapy
- Partial Response Achieved With Atezolizumab, Cobimetinib in Pretreated CRC
- Novel Approach Can Improve Both Colorectal Cancer Screening Outcomes and Adherence
- Survival Outcomes in Relapsed Hepatocellular Carcinoma Improved With Cabozantinib
- OS Similar With Gemcitabine Plus S-1 vs Standard Therapy for Biliary Tract Cancer
- Feasibility and Outcomes of Modified Enhanced Recovery After Surgery for Nursing Management of Aged Patients Undergoing Esophagectomy
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|