Low Serum or Plasma Glucose – Hypoglycemia
Reactive hypoglycemia is usually observed in diabetics but also is found in nondiabetics following ingestion of a high-carbohydrate meal.
Pts w/ hypoglycemia caused by an insulin-producing tumor may have signs & symptoms associated w/ malignancy.
For surreptitious insulin injection, seek a history of insulin use or access to insulin.
For excess administration of sulfonylurea drugs, seek a history of use of or access to these drugs.
For impaired liver function, seek clinical evidence of impaired liver function.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Blood glucose level <50 mg/dL, coincident w/ symptoms that are reversible within 15 to 45 min of the administration of glucose in the absence of cerebral edema
C-peptide level. Pts have high levels of insulin synthesis & secretion of this portion of the pro-insulin molecule should be detectable in the blood at high levels
Elevated blood insulin Surreptitious insulin administration: insulin is elevated but C-peptide level is not because the insulin in the blood was not synthesized from proinsulin in the pt's pancreas.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Prevent Breast Cancer Recurrence
- BBD Regimen Efficacious as First-line Therapy for Myeloma
- Idelalisib Increases Progression-Free Survival in Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Trends in Behaviors, Medical Practice Indicate Mortality From Melanoma Will Decline
- Immunotherapy and the Future of Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Nut Consumption Inversely Associated With Lung Cancer Risk
- Use of Checkpoint Inhibitors in Urothelial Carcinoma
- Chemo + Radiotherapy Efficacious in Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer
- Elderly with NSCLC Can Tolerate Aggressive Radiation Therapy Treatments
- Colorectal Cancer Risk Higher With Poor Metabolic Health vs Increased Weight
- Best Approach to Infection and Tumor Treatment: Contain or Eliminate?
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|