Elevated TSH – Hypothyroidism
Euthyroid sick syndrome
Early diagnosis and treatment of infantile hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone prevents irreversible mental retardation and growth impairment.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hashimoto thyroiditis accounts for about 90% of all hypothyroidism cases.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
T4 is normal and then becomes low preceding a decline in T3.
Antithyroid peroxidase and antithyroglobulin tests are positive.
Ablative hypothyroidism: T4 and T3 are low following a procedure that ablates the thyroid gland.
Infantile hypothyroidism: T4 and T3 are low in a newborn or infant.
Euthyroid sick syndrome
In moderately ill patients, T4 is normal with a low T3, a reverse T3 is elevated, and TSH is normal.
In severely ill patients, T4 is low with a low T3, an elevated reverse T3, and a low TSH.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
- Novel Blood Test Detects Cancer, Locates Tumor Without Invasive Procedures
- Cabozantinib Activates Innate Immune Response, Eliminating Prostate Cancer
- Shorter Treatment of Breast Cancer with Trastuzumab May Lead to Improved Results
- Colorectal Cancer Rates Increased Sharply Among Generation X and Millennials
- Pneumonia Associated With Common Cold May Cause Fatal Illness in Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Early Palliative Care Reduced ICU Use in Patients With Advanced Cancer
- Ginger Extract Raises Antioxidant Levels in Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy
- Nurse Navigators Improve Physician Engagement in Pretreatment Discussions
- Screening Increases Early Palliative Care, Reduces Aggressive EOL Measures
- Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer (Fact Sheet)
- Genome Sequencing Explains Resistance to CTLA-4 and PD-1 Inhibitors in Metastatic Melanoma
- Lifestyle Choices Have Greater Influence on Colon and Rectal Cancer Risk
- Kidney Cancer Metastases in Lung May Hide Undiagnosed Primary Lung Cancer
- Nasal Biomarker in Smokers Could Predict Lung Cancer
- Arm Lymphoscintigraphy After Axillary Lymph Node Dissection or Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Breast Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|