Elevated TSH – Hypothyroidism
Euthyroid sick syndrome
Early diagnosis and treatment of infantile hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone prevents irreversible mental retardation and growth impairment.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hashimoto thyroiditis accounts for about 90% of all hypothyroidism cases.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
T4 is normal and then becomes low preceding a decline in T3.
Antithyroid peroxidase and antithyroglobulin tests are positive.
Ablative hypothyroidism: T4 and T3 are low following a procedure that ablates the thyroid gland.
Infantile hypothyroidism: T4 and T3 are low in a newborn or infant.
Euthyroid sick syndrome
In moderately ill patients, T4 is normal with a low T3, a reverse T3 is elevated, and TSH is normal.
In severely ill patients, T4 is low with a low T3, an elevated reverse T3, and a low TSH.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
- Blood Test Predicts Stem Cell Transplant Success in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Immunotherapy and the Future of Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Trends in Behaviors, Medical Practice Indicate Mortality From Melanoma Will Decline
- Pembrolizumab Active Against Rare Melanoma, Extends Survival in Bladder Cancer
- Women Treated for DCIS Have Slightly Lower Risk for All-Cause Mortality
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Nut Consumption Inversely Associated With Lung Cancer Risk
- E-cigarettes and Replacement Nicotine Therapy Safer Than Tobacco Use
- National Health Care Spending Expected to Grow Five Percent Annually
- Patients With Urologic Cancer Need Psycho-oncologic Support to Manage High Stress
- 1 Year of Adjuvant Trastuzumab Improves Long-Term DFS in Early Breast Cancer
- Lenalidomide Maintenance Appears Efficacious for Relapsed DLBCL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|