Elevated Serum Calcium
Excess parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion from a single parathyroid adenoma, hyperplasia of the parathyroids, parathyroid carcinoma
Especially tumors of the breast, lung, and kidney in which hypercalcemia may occur from direct bony metastasis
Multiple myeloma that directly degrades bone
Other cancers that produce hypercalcemia by inducing PTH secretion
Excess vitamin D intake
Prolonged use of diuretics and thiazides known to produce hypercalcemia
Severe hypercalcemia favors a diagnosis of cancer.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hypercalcemia from malignancy is especially common.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
In primary hyperparathyroidism, serum PTH is increased and serum phosphorus is decreased.
In hypercalcemia of malignancy, serum phosphorus is decreased in approximately 50% of patients, and there is a decrease in the serum PTH in these patients.
Serum protein electrophoresis is useful in the assessment for multiple myeloma. Serum 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D is low in hypercalcemia of malignancy. It is often increased in primary hyperparathyroidism.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
- Blood Test Predicts Stem Cell Transplant Success in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Immunotherapy and the Future of Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Trends in Behaviors, Medical Practice Indicate Mortality From Melanoma Will Decline
- Pembrolizumab Active Against Rare Melanoma, Extends Survival in Bladder Cancer
- Elderly with NSCLC Can Tolerate Aggressive Radiation Therapy Treatments
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Nut Consumption Inversely Associated With Lung Cancer Risk
- Pediatric Patients, Parents Overreport Adherence to ALL Medication Regimen
- E-cigarettes and Replacement Nicotine Therapy Safer Than Tobacco Use
- National Health Care Spending Expected to Grow Five Percent Annually
- Patients With Urologic Cancer Need Psycho-oncologic Support to Manage High Stress
- 1 Year of Adjuvant Trastuzumab Improves Long-Term DFS in Early Breast Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|