Anterior Pituitary, Prolactin Deficiency
At a Glance
Prolactin deficiency is extremely rare and is typically encountered only after the anterior pituitary gland is destroyed by infarction. The inability to lactate after delivery of an infant is the only known presentation of prolactin deficiency.
What Tests Should I Request to Confirm My Clinical Dx? In addition, what follow-up tests might be useful?
Testing for prolactin deficiency is not clinically useful, because the primary function of prolactin is its role in lactogenesis and there is no treatment for women who cannot lactate due to pituitary hypofunction. There are also no standardized methods of evaluating prolactin reserve.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
- Whole Genome Sequencing Reveals that 12% of Childhood Cancer Survivors Have Mutations in Genes that Increase Cancer Risk
- Increased 5-Year Survival Rate Seen in NSCLC Subset Treated With Nivolumab
- Novel Test For Multiple Myeloma Uses Microchip, Conventional Blood Sample
- Health Care Expansion Tied to Increased Rates of Surgical Treatment of Thyroid Cancer
- Including Informal Caregivers of Elderly in Discharge Process Reduces Readmission Risk
- Exercise, Psychological Interventions Better for Cancer Fatigue Than Medications
- ASCO Issues Global Guidance for HPV Vaccination for Cervical Cancer Prevention
- Discharge Events Improved With Standardized Inpatient Palliative Care Consultation
- Little Opposition to Early Palliative Care for Symptom Management in Pediatric Oncology
- Physical Activity Improves Outcomes for Patients with Breast Cancer and Survivors
- Use of Counseling, Surgery Rates Show Limited Physician Knowledge of Breast Cancer Genetic Testing
- Family History Does Not Exclude Active Surveillance as Treatment Option for Prostate Cancer
- Beans, Whole Grains in Diet Beneficial for Colorectal Cancer Survivors
- Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer Responds to Abiraterone Acetate in Some Cases
- Shifts in Cancer Burden for People With HIV Projected
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|