An Elevated Value for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)
Confirmation of intrauterine pregnancy
Gestational trophoblastic disease Nongestational malignancies
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) tests can be performed using serum or urine.
Urine test is qualitative (yes/no).
Serum test can be qualitative or quantitative.
Serial quantitative measurements of hCG may be useful, especially in suspected ectopic pregnancy, where a low
Low levels of serial serum hCG may identify a spontaneous or threatened abortion.
An insufficient hCG decline after abortion indicates incomplete therapeutic or spontaneous abortion.
Gestational trophoblastic disease: hCG is abnormally high with a high ratio of free beta hCG to total hCG
hCG measurement may also be useful in the diagnosis, prognosis, and management of other tumors, such as testicular tumors.
hCG or a slow rise in the hCG in the absence of an intrauterine sac on ultrasonography suggests an ectopic pregnancy.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Prevent Breast Cancer Recurrence
- Blood Test Predicts Stem Cell Transplant Success in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Idelalisib Increases Progression-Free Survival in Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Immunotherapy and the Future of Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Trends in Behaviors, Medical Practice Indicate Mortality From Melanoma Will Decline
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Nut Consumption Inversely Associated With Lung Cancer Risk
- Patients With Urologic Cancer Need Psycho-oncologic Support to Manage High Stress
- 1 Year of Adjuvant Trastuzumab Improves Long-Term DFS in Early Breast Cancer
- Lenalidomide Maintenance Appears Efficacious for Relapsed DLBCL
- Single Chemotherapy Dose Informs Treatment Strategy for Advanced Laryngeal Cancer
- Use of Checkpoint Inhibitors in Urothelial Carcinoma
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|