An Elevated Value for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)
Confirmation of intrauterine pregnancy
Gestational trophoblastic disease Nongestational malignancies
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) tests can be performed using serum or urine.
Urine test is qualitative (yes/no).
Serum test can be qualitative or quantitative.
Serial quantitative measurements of hCG may be useful, especially in suspected ectopic pregnancy, where a low
Low levels of serial serum hCG may identify a spontaneous or threatened abortion.
An insufficient hCG decline after abortion indicates incomplete therapeutic or spontaneous abortion.
Gestational trophoblastic disease: hCG is abnormally high with a high ratio of free beta hCG to total hCG
hCG measurement may also be useful in the diagnosis, prognosis, and management of other tumors, such as testicular tumors.
hCG or a slow rise in the hCG in the absence of an intrauterine sac on ultrasonography suggests an ectopic pregnancy.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
- Novel Blood Test Detects Cancer, Locates Tumor Without Invasive Procedures
- Cabozantinib Activates Innate Immune Response, Eliminating Prostate Cancer
- Shorter Treatment of Breast Cancer with Trastuzumab May Lead to Improved Results
- Colorectal Cancer Rates Increased Sharply Among Generation X and Millennials
- Pneumonia Associated With Common Cold May Cause Fatal Illness in Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Early Palliative Care Reduced ICU Use in Patients With Advanced Cancer
- Ginger Extract Raises Antioxidant Levels in Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy
- Nurse Navigators Improve Physician Engagement in Pretreatment Discussions
- Screening Increases Early Palliative Care, Reduces Aggressive EOL Measures
- Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer (Fact Sheet)
- Genome Sequencing Explains Resistance to CTLA-4 and PD-1 Inhibitors in Metastatic Melanoma
- Lifestyle Choices Have Greater Influence on Colon and Rectal Cancer Risk
- Kidney Cancer Metastases in Lung May Hide Undiagnosed Primary Lung Cancer
- Nasal Biomarker in Smokers Could Predict Lung Cancer
- Arm Lymphoscintigraphy After Axillary Lymph Node Dissection or Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Breast Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|