Alcoholic Liver Disease (ALD)
At a Glance
No biochemical markers pathognomonic for alcoholic liver disease (ALD) exist. The diagnosis has to start with evidence of alcohol abuse either from a history of documented blood alcohol levels or from response to one of the questionnaires desired to elicit a history of ongoing alcohol abuse.
What Tests Should I Request to Confirm My Clinical Dx? In addition, what follow-up tests might be useful?
Historically, gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) has been used as a screening tool for alcoholism.
Another, relatively specific marker for ALD is carbohydrate deficient transferrin (CDT).
Elevations of aspartate aminotransferase up to six times the upper limit of normal and alanine aminotransferase up to 5 times its upper limit of normal is consistent with alcohol abuse, especially with a ratio greater than 2:1. A ratio of 3:1 has a sensitivity of 90% for the diagnosis.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
- Response to Anemia Treatment Differs in Lymphoma, Multiple Myeloma
- Fertility Preservation in Male Adolescents and Young Adults With Cancer
- Impact of Prostate Cancer Diagnosis, Treatment Choice on Quality of Life
- Social, Psychiatric Variables Reduce Cognitive Functioning, QoL in HNC
- Axillary Lymph Node Dissection Predictive for Lymphedema in Breast Cancer
- HPV and Cancer (Fact Sheet)
- Pain Control More Easily Achieved With Nurse-Led Education in Bone Metastases
- Acupuncture an Effective Alternative Treatment for Cancer-Related Fatigue
- Using Nutrition-Based Strategies to Manage Adverse Effects of Cancer
- Palliative Care Associated With Decreased Costs For Patients With Advanced Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer and Dietary Fiber: Source Is More Important Than Amount
- Reduced Delayed Intensification Impacts Risk of Pediatric ALL Relapse
- Exercise May Mitigate Cardiotoxicity Associated With Doxorubicin Treatment
- Mobile Health Apps Becoming More Popular Among Patients and Clinicians
- Online Learning Modules Improve Exercise Counseling, But Not Participation
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|