Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium polystyrene sulfonate; pwd; sodium content 4.1mEq/g.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for KAYEXALATE:
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating life-threatening hyperkalemia due to its delayed onset of action.
See full labeling. Oral: give in an upright position; 15g as a suspension 1–4 times daily. Rectal enema: 30–50g in 100mL every 6hrs.
See full labeling. 1g per 1mEq of potassium as basis of calculation may be used.
Obstructive bowel disease. Neonates with reduced gut motility.
Avoid in patients at risk for constipation/impaction (eg, history of impaction, chronic constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, ischemic colitis, vascular intestinal atherosclerosis, previous bowel resection, bowel obstruction); discontinue if constipation develops. Post-surgery: avoid if have not had a bowel movement. CHF, hypertension, edema: monitor for fluid overload. Risk of aspiration. Monitor electrolytes (eg, potassium, calcium, magnesium). Neonates: do not give by oral route. Infants.
Increased risk of intestinal necrosis with concomitant sorbitol; not recommended. Separate dosing by ≥3hrs before or ≥3hrs after other oral drugs (6hrs in patients with gastroparesis). Increased risk of systemic alkalosis with nonadsorbable cation-donating antacids and laxatives. Reduces absorption of thyroxine, lithium.
Cation exchange resin.
Anorexia, constipation, diarrhea, fecal impaction, GI concretions (bezoars), ischemic colitis, nausea, vomiting; intestinal necrosis, electrolyte disturbances.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- Androgen-Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer May Cause Nocturia, Sleep Disturbance
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Modified XELIRI Noninferior to FOLFIRI for OS in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Nabilone Improves Cancer-Associated Anorexia in Lung Cancer
- Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Test for Select BRCA Mutations Gets FDA Nod
- Patients With Head and Neck Cancer Have Greater Chance of Being Prescribed Opioids
- Medical Terms in Patient Education: Using the Confusing to Explain the Complicated
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|