Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium polystyrene sulfonate; pwd; sodium content 4.1mEq/g.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for KAYEXALATE:
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating life-threatening hyperkalemia due to its delayed onset of action.
See full labeling. Oral: give in an upright position; 15g as a suspension 1–4 times daily. Rectal enema: 30–50g in 100mL every 6hrs.
See full labeling. 1g per 1mEq of potassium as basis of calculation may be used.
Obstructive bowel disease. Neonates with reduced gut motility.
Avoid in patients at risk for constipation/impaction (eg, history of impaction, chronic constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, ischemic colitis, vascular intestinal atherosclerosis, previous bowel resection, bowel obstruction); discontinue if constipation develops. Post-surgery: avoid if have not had a bowel movement. CHF, hypertension, edema: monitor for fluid overload. Risk of aspiration. Monitor electrolytes (eg, potassium, calcium, magnesium). Neonates: do not give by oral route. Infants.
Increased risk of intestinal necrosis with concomitant sorbitol; not recommended. Separate dosing by ≥3hrs before or ≥3hrs after other oral drugs (6hrs in patients with gastroparesis). Increased risk of systemic alkalosis with nonadsorbable cation-donating antacids and laxatives. Reduces absorption of thyroxine, lithium.
Cation exchange resin.
Anorexia, constipation, diarrhea, fecal impaction, GI concretions (bezoars), ischemic colitis, nausea, vomiting; intestinal necrosis, electrolyte disturbances.
- Neurotoxicity After CAR T-cell Therapy May Be Associated With Endothelial Activation
- Navigation Programs Most Effective in Increasing Follow-up Colonoscopy
- New Class of Clinical Trial Enhances Research on Cancer Care Delivery
- Specialized Interventions Reduce Aberrant Opioid Behaviors in Cancer Patients
- Nivolumab Provides Better Long-Term Efficacy Compared With Docetaxel in NSCLC
- Anticancer Properties of The Probiotic Kefir: A Review
- Navigating the Transition From Treatment to Breast Cancer Survivor
- Combining Radiation, Immunotherapy: An Emerging Challenge for Oncology Nursing
- Naldemedine Effective for Opioid-Induced Constipation in Cancer Pain
- Disruptions to Circadian Rhythm Linked to Prostate Cancer Surgery Regret
- Case Report of a KIT-mutated Melanoma Patient With an Excellent Response to Apatinib and Temozolomide Combination Therapy
- Novel Predictive Model More Effectively Identifies Risk for Lung Cancer
- Long-Term Eltrombopag Increases Platelet Counts, Decreases Bleeding in ITP
- Overall Survival Increase for Melanoma Brain Metastases
- Prophylactic Prochloperazine Ineffective for Opioid-induced Nausea/Vomiting in Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|