Study Shows Health Benefits of Walnuts
the ONA take:
According to a new study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food, researchers at University of California, Davis, in Davis, California, have found that consuming a diet rich in whole walnuts or walnut oil decreased the rate of prostate cancer growth, reduced cholesterol, and increased insulin sensitivity in mice.
In addition, the walnut-rich diet reduced insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), which has been shown to cause prostate and breast cancer. For the study, researchers sought to investigate which part of walnuts cause the health benefits that have been identified in previous studies. Researchers fed mice either whole walnuts, walnut oil, or a mixture of walnut-like fat for 18 weeks.
They found that the walnuts and walnut oil, but not the fatty acid mixture, caused health benefits like decreased prostate cancer growth and decreased cholesterol. The findings suggest that the meat and oil of walnuts cause health benefits, but not the omega-3 fatty acids of the walnut; however, it could also be a combination of the three components. The study also found that the health benefits of walnuts are not magnesium, selenium, or zinc.
The researchers note that although this study does not prove that the benefits of walnuts will translate from mice to humans, it may be beneficial to incorporate walnuts into a diet.
Diet rich in whole walnuts or walnut oil decreased the rate of prostate cancer growth.
- Immunotherapy May Benefit Some Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
- Screening Recommendations for Children with Common Cancer Predisposition Syndromes
- Significance of Prostate Cancer Treatment-Related Factors Differ in Black, White Men
- Superior Tolerability, Efficacy With Alectinib in Treatment-Naïve ALK-poistive NSCLC
- New Study Questions Standard Dosage for Treating Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Survivorship Care Plans: Providing A Blueprint for Health Care After Cancer
- Multifaceted Role of the Nurse Navigator Includes Palliative, Supportive Care
- Cancer Recurrence Fear Reduced by Novel Psychological Intervention
- Patient Navigators Found to Boost Lung Cancer Screening Rates
- Lack of Transfusion Services a Barrier to Hospice Care for Patients With Blood Cancers
- Aspirin Use May Lower Breast Cancer Risk in Women with Diabetes
- Ethnic Differences, Cultural Barriers Negatively Impact Mammography Follow-up Among Asian Ethnic Groups
- Study Questions Safety of E-cigarettes vs Regular Tobacco Cigarettes
- Changes in Pulmonary Function Tests in Breast Carcinoma Patients Treated With Locoregional Post-mastectomy Radiotherapy: Results of a Pilot Study
- Increases in Liver Cancer Incidence Influenced by Higher Rates of Comorbidities
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|