Vitamin B3 may help prevent some common skin cancers
the ONA take:
A large study has found that a certain B3 vitamin may reduce the risk of the most common skin cancers. Melanoma was not involved in the study, only the more common basal and squamous cell cancers.
The study, funded by Australia’s National Health and Medical Research Council, included 386 people who had at least two skin cancers in the previous 5 years.
In the double-blind study, the participants took either 500 mg of the B3 vitamin nicotinamide or dummy pills twice a day for 1 year, and were followed for 6 months after they stopped taking the pills. Those taking the vitamin had a 23% lower rate of new cancers.
In addition, the rate of precancers was also reduced, by 11% after 3 months and 20% after 9 months. However, the benefits did not continue once the pills were stopped. Six months after discontinuing the pills, the rate of new skin cancers was similar in both groups.
Nicotinamide is thought to help repair the DNA damage caused by sun exposure. Vitamin use for cancer prevention, however, is controversial, and some studies have even found them to be harmful.
Furthermore, despite the positive results of this study, the researchers stress that vitamin use is not for people who have not yet had one of these cancers and that people should always practice basic sun-sensible behaviors.
A certain B3 vitamin may reduce the risk of the most common skin cancers.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Avoiding the ED: Planned Strategies for Unplanned Urgent Cancer Care
- NP-Led Clinics Improved Phase 1 Oncology Study Operations, Outcomes
- Art as Palliative Care: Bedside Intervention Improves Pain, Anxiety, Mood in Hospitalized Cancer Patients
- Unprotected Sex After Chemotherapy
- Mindfulness Training May Improve End-of-Life Conversations in Advanced Cancer
- Study Suggests Greater Focus on the Needs of Family Caregivers of Patients With Cancer
- First Antibody-Based Treatment Regimen Approved for First-Line Treatment of Multiple Myeloma
- Increased Diabetes Risk Associated With Cancer Development
- Childhood Neuroblastoma Survivors at Risk for Psych Impairment
- Drug Classification of Trastuzumab
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|