Blood sugar checks are beneficial for those with type 2 diabetes
the ONA take:
Blood sugar self-monitoring benefits patients with type 2 diabetes even if they are not prescribed insulin, according to preliminary findings presented at the American Association of Diabetes Educators annual meeting in New Orleans, LA.
For the small study, researchers enrolled 11 patients with type 2 diabetes and worked with the patients to design personalized, structured self-monitoring blood glucose schedules.
Researchers then taught patients to react to their blood sugar level readings by performing certain interventions, such as going for a walk or eating less.
Results showed that the patients reduced their A1C levels from an average of 7.3% to 6.2% during the the study. The majority of patients received the most benefit from twice daily self-monitoring.
"Participants in this study said that sticking to a regular [self-monitoring] schedule really helped them to know where their blood levels were and take appropriate action, such as adding physical activity or choosing a healthy snack," study author Dana Brackney, a diabetes educator and an assistant professor of nursing at Appalachian State University in Boone, N.C., said.
Blood sugar self-monitoring benefits patients with type 2 diabetes even if they are not prescribed insulin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Avoiding the ED: Planned Strategies for Unplanned Urgent Cancer Care
- NP-Led Clinics Improved Phase 1 Oncology Study Operations, Outcomes
- Art as Palliative Care: Bedside Intervention Improves Pain, Anxiety, Mood in Hospitalized Cancer Patients
- Unprotected Sex After Chemotherapy
- Mindfulness Training May Improve End-of-Life Conversations in Advanced Cancer
- Study Suggests Greater Focus on the Needs of Family Caregivers of Patients With Cancer
- First Antibody-Based Treatment Regimen Approved for First-Line Treatment of Multiple Myeloma
- Increased Diabetes Risk Associated With Cancer Development
- Childhood Neuroblastoma Survivors at Risk for Psych Impairment
- Drug Classification of Trastuzumab
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|