Metastasis to the lymph nodes is indicative of more aggressive thyroid cancer
the ONA take:
The staging system for thyroid cancer classifies the disease in four stages for patients older than 45 years, with stage 1 indicating the best prognosis and stage 4 the worst.
A separate system classifies the disease in two stages for patients younger than 45 years, and both are typically associated with a favorable overall prognosis. However, recent research findings indicate that in cases of thyroid cancer metastasis to the lymph nodes, risk of dying was the same for both age groups.
The researchers found that risk of dying was associated with metastasis to the lymph nodes. The risk for younger patients with metastasis was higher than the risk for younger patients with no metastasis to the lymph nodes.
In fact, it was similar to that of older patients. In addition, the number of lymph nodes involved played in role in survival. If six or more nodes were involved, survival was clearly compromised.
The senior author of the study commented that the results raise the question of whether the staging system should be revised to better reflect actual prognosis for all patients with thyroid cancer.
In addition, all surgery entails a certain amount of risk. But knowing that lymph node involvement in younger patients does carry survival risk, more extensive surgery for these patients may be warranted.
Risk of dying from thyroid cancer was associated with metastasis to the lymph nodes.
- Ixazomib, a New PI, Offers Improved Efficacy With Acceptable Toxicity Profile for Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma
- Acupuncture May Improve Fatigue in Patients with Lung Cancer
- A Review of CDK4/6 Toxicities and Interactions Management in Breast Cancer
- "Light" Cigarettes and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Neuropathic Cancer Pain Linked to Reduced Quality of Life
- Dexamethasone-Induced Hiccups in Chemotherapy May be Prevented by Rotating to Methylprednisolone
- New Evidence Shows Metastases May Spread Independently of Lymph Nodes
- Long Term Survivors of Prostate Cancer Express Treatment Decision Regret for Up to 15 Years
- FDA Expands Clearance for Cooling Cap Use With Chemotherapy for Solid Tumors
- Recommendations for Vaccine Administration During Chemotherapy
- Risk for Prostate Cancer Not Associated With Vasectomy, Meta-analysis Affirms
- Disease-Free Survival After Breast Cancer Comparable With Exemestane, Sequential Tamoxifen/Exemestane
- Treating the Other "Patient": Depressive Symptoms Are Predictive of Declining Physical Health in Caregivers
- Oropharyngeal Mucositis Pain Effectively Relieved With Indomethacin Oral Spray
- Opioids Overprescribed in Patients Undergoing Surgery
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|