Metastasis to the lymph nodes is indicative of more aggressive thyroid cancer
the ONA take:
The staging system for thyroid cancer classifies the disease in four stages for patients older than 45 years, with stage 1 indicating the best prognosis and stage 4 the worst.
A separate system classifies the disease in two stages for patients younger than 45 years, and both are typically associated with a favorable overall prognosis. However, recent research findings indicate that in cases of thyroid cancer metastasis to the lymph nodes, risk of dying was the same for both age groups.
The researchers found that risk of dying was associated with metastasis to the lymph nodes. The risk for younger patients with metastasis was higher than the risk for younger patients with no metastasis to the lymph nodes.
In fact, it was similar to that of older patients. In addition, the number of lymph nodes involved played in role in survival. If six or more nodes were involved, survival was clearly compromised.
The senior author of the study commented that the results raise the question of whether the staging system should be revised to better reflect actual prognosis for all patients with thyroid cancer.
In addition, all surgery entails a certain amount of risk. But knowing that lymph node involvement in younger patients does carry survival risk, more extensive surgery for these patients may be warranted.
Risk of dying from thyroid cancer was associated with metastasis to the lymph nodes.
- Physical Activity Improves Outcomes for Patients with Breast Cancer and Survivors
- Behavior Pain Assessment Tool Measures Pain In Patients Who Cannot Communicate Verbally
- Whole Genome Sequencing Reveals that 12% of Childhood Cancer Survivors Have Mutations in Genes that Increase Cancer Risk
- Increased 5-Year Survival Rate Seen in NSCLC Subset Treated With Nivolumab
- Novel Test For Multiple Myeloma Uses Microchip, Conventional Blood Sample
- Exercise, Psychological Interventions Better for Cancer Fatigue Than Medications
- ASCO Issues Global Guidance for HPV Vaccination for Cervical Cancer Prevention
- Discharge Events Improved With Standardized Inpatient Palliative Care Consultation
- Little Opposition to Early Palliative Care for Symptom Management in Pediatric Oncology
- Updated ASTRO Guideline Bolsters Safety, Efficacy of Palliative RT for Bone Metastases
- Thyroid Cancer Incidence Increasing Among Younger, Hispanic, African American Populations
- JAK1, JAK2 Inhibition Improves Outcomes in Myeloproliferative Neoplasms, But More Is Needed
- Recommendations Against Contralateral Prophylactic Mastectomy Not Tied to Patient Satisfaction
- Self-efficacy Level Predictive of Likelihood to Follow Through With Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Chronic Myeloproliferative Neoplasms Treatment (Fact Sheet)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|