Statins increase risk of diabetes in Caucasian men
the ONA take:
According to new research published in the journal Diabetologia, researchers from Finland have found that statin use is associated with an increased risk of developing diabetes.
In the study, researchers analyzed data from 8,749 non-diabetic men in a 6-year follow-up of the population-based Metabolic Syndrome in Men (METSIM) study in Finland.
The participants ranged in age from 45 to 73 years and were followed for 5.9 years. Of those men, 625 were diagnosed with new diabetes during the follow-up period.
Results showed that after adjusting for confounding factors, patients treated with statins were 46% more likely to develop diabetes compared with those non treated with statins. In addition, researchers found that the risk was dose-dependent for atorvastatin and simvastatin.
The authors suggest that the association between statin use and increased risk for diabetes is most likely due to statins decreasing both insulin sensitivity and insulin secretion.
Although the findings are reliable, the study only included Caucasian men and therefore should not be applied to women or people of other ethnic origin without further research.
Statin use is associated with an increased risk of developing diabetes.
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Prevent Breast Cancer Recurrence
- BBD Regimen Efficacious as First-line Therapy for Myeloma
- Idelalisib Increases Progression-Free Survival in Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Trends in Behaviors, Medical Practice Indicate Mortality From Melanoma Will Decline
- Pembrolizumab Active Against Rare Melanoma, Extends Survival in Bladder Cancer
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Nut Consumption Inversely Associated With Lung Cancer Risk
- Decipher Genomic Classifier Prognostic for Distant Prostate Metastasis
- GUCS 2017: Adjuvant Trials in Post-radical Prostatectomy Prostate Cancer Feasible
- Annual Screening of High-Risk Smokers Only More Cost-effective Than Current Methods
- Blood Test Predicts Stem Cell Transplant Success in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Metronomic Chemotherapy: Improved Tumor Blood Supply Leads to Better Treatment
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|