St. John's wort: natural does not necessarily mean safe
the ONA take:
According to a study published in the journal Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, researchers in Australia have found that adverse reactions to St. John's Wort were similar to those reported for fluoxetine.
"It's concerning to see such severe adverse reactions in our population, when people believe they are doing something proactive for their health with little risk," lead researcher Claire Hoban, of the University of Adelaide, said in a university news release.
The study showed that side effects associated with St. John's wort use included anxiety, dizziness, hypertension, nausea, and panic attacks. The authors of the study that many patients taking St. John's wort may not be aware that they are at risk for certain adverse reactions. Patients should be advised to visit a health care professional for treatment of depression rather than self-treating with natural remedies.
St. John's wort is a popular herbal product used to treat depression in some patients. It is also known to be involved in several drug-drug interactions, particularly with oral contraceptives, anticoagulants, and some anti-cancer drugs.
Adverse reactions to St. John's Wort were similar to those reported for fluoxetine.
- Osteoporosis Medication Improves Bone Health in ADT-Treated Prostate Cancer
- Inotuzumab Ozogamicin Granted FDA Approval for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
- Cabazitaxel in Prostate Cancer: Reduced Dose Noninferior to Standard Dose
- Risk of Some Cancers Higher in Women With a History of Periodontal Disease
- Breast Conservation Improves Survival vs Mastectomy in Breast Cancer
- To Better Serve Patients With Cancer, Navigators Need Better Systems
- Physical Activity Improves Cognitive Function for Breast Cancer Survivors
- Risk of Lung Cancer Increases With Diets Higher in Saturated Fats
- Mechanisms Identified for Curcumin Resensitization of Cancer Cells
- Value of Type and Crossmatch Prior to Daratumumab Administration
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|