First of three phase 3 cancer pain trials shows disappointing results
the ONA take:
Patients with advanced cancer often do not attain adequate pain relief from optimized chronic opioid therapy or experience unacceptable opioid side effects.
Researchers believe that cannabinoid therapy as a co-analgesic may provide pain relief beyond opioid therapy. In a phase 3 trial for the investigational product Sativex, a cannabinoid medicine, topline results show that the primary end point of demonstrating a statistically significant difference from placebo was not achieved.
A total of 399 patients were recruited at clinical sites in the United States, Mexico, and Europe for this randomized double-blind placebo-controlled parallel-group study.
The trial evaluated Sativex at a dose range of 3 to 10 sprays/day over a 5-week period with an additional stabilization period of 5 to 14 days at the beginning of the trial and a 1-week follow-up at the end of the trial.
Participants received Sativex or placebo as adjunctive treatment to optimized chronic opioid therapy and remained on stable doses of their background opioid therapy during the study.
This is the first of three phase 3 trials of this investigational product, and although the researchers are disappointed that the primary end point was not achieved, they are optimistic that results from the other studies will support filing a New Drug Application with the FDA.
Sativex is currently approved in 27 countries outside the United States for the treatment of spasticity due to multiple sclerosis. A request for Special Protocol Assessment has been submitted to the FDA for a proposed single phase 3 study in this indication.
Patients with advanced cancer often do not attain adequate pain relief from optimized chronic opioid therapy.
- Immunotherapy May Benefit Some Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
- Screening Recommendations for Children with Common Cancer Predisposition Syndromes
- Significance of Prostate Cancer Treatment-Related Factors Differ in Black, White Men
- Superior Tolerability, Efficacy With Alectinib in Treatment-Naïve ALK-poistive NSCLC
- New Study Questions Standard Dosage for Treating Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Survivorship Care Plans: Providing A Blueprint for Health Care After Cancer
- Cancer Recurrence Fear Reduced by Novel Psychological Intervention
- Multifaceted Role of the Nurse Navigator Includes Palliative, Supportive Care
- Patient Navigators Found to Boost Lung Cancer Screening Rates
- Lack of Transfusion Services a Barrier to Hospice Care for Patients With Blood Cancers
- Aspirin Use May Lower Breast Cancer Risk in Women with Diabetes
- Ethnic Differences, Cultural Barriers Negatively Impact Mammography Follow-up Among Asian Ethnic Groups
- Study Questions Safety of E-cigarettes vs Regular Tobacco Cigarettes
- Changes in Pulmonary Function Tests in Breast Carcinoma Patients Treated With Locoregional Post-mastectomy Radiotherapy: Results of a Pilot Study
- Increases in Liver Cancer Incidence Influenced by Higher Rates of Comorbidities
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|