Half of patients who die from prostate cancer have metastases at diagnosis
the ONA take:
According to a new study published in the journal Prostate Cancer & Prostatic Diseases, researchers sought to determine which types of patients die from prostate cancer in the modern era.
The researchers identified 190 men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) treated between 2008 and 2011 and analyzed the characteristics of the 113 patients who died as a result of prostate cancer.
Of the 113 patients, 56% had identifiable metastases at the time of diagnosis. Of those, 67% had bone metastases, 111% had visceral metastases, and 43% had lymph node metastases. The median time to developing CRPC was 16 months and the median overall survival was approximately 5.2 years.
Among patients who died from prostate cancer, 46% of those initially diagnosed with localized disease had T stage ≥3 and 38% had a Gleason score ≥8. Overall, 26% had a Gleason score ≤6 and 64% were classified as having high-risk prostate cancer. The median overall survival was found to be 8.8 years.
The findings suggest that among those who die from prostate cancer, about half have detectable metastases at diagnosis. Therefore, the researchers recommend that more future studies should be conducted in patients with newly diagnosed metastatic prostate cancer.
researchers sought to determine which types of patients die from prostate cancer in the modern era.
The authors used two monthly curated databases of patients with castration–resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) to describe the natural history of patients dying of CaP in the modern era. In the modern era, approximately half of the patients who die from CaP have metastases at diagnosis.
The paradigm of progression from localized disease to metastasis and eventually death is only represented in the other half, although possible initial screening and staging errors ought to be taken into consideration. More efforts are needed to conduct trials in patients with newly diagnosed metastatic CaP.
- Physical Activity Improves Outcomes for Patients with Breast Cancer and Survivors
- Behavior Pain Assessment Tool Measures Pain In Patients Who Cannot Communicate Verbally
- Whole Genome Sequencing Reveals that 12% of Childhood Cancer Survivors Have Mutations in Genes that Increase Cancer Risk
- Novel Test For Multiple Myeloma Uses Microchip, Conventional Blood Sample
- Increased 5-Year Survival Rate Seen in NSCLC Subset Treated With Nivolumab
- Exercise, Psychological Interventions Better for Cancer Fatigue Than Medications
- ASCO Issues Global Guidance for HPV Vaccination for Cervical Cancer Prevention
- Discharge Events Improved With Standardized Inpatient Palliative Care Consultation
- Little Opposition to Early Palliative Care for Symptom Management in Pediatric Oncology
- Updated ASTRO Guideline Bolsters Safety, Efficacy of Palliative RT for Bone Metastases
- Thyroid Cancer Incidence Increasing Among Younger, Hispanic, African American Populations
- JAK1, JAK2 Inhibition Improves Outcomes in Myeloproliferative Neoplasms, But More Is Needed
- Recommendations Against Contralateral Prophylactic Mastectomy Not Tied to Patient Satisfaction
- Self-efficacy Level Predictive of Likelihood to Follow Through With Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Chronic Myeloproliferative Neoplasms Treatment (Fact Sheet)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|