Older, younger patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer have similar survival
the ONA take:
Older patients metastatic pancreatic cancer are less likely to receive chemotherapy and receive fewer agents yet have similar overall survival compared with younger patients with metastatic disease, according to a recent study published online ahead of print in the Journal of Geriatric Oncology.
For the study, researchers at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, PA, sought to compare patterns of care and outcomes of patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer who are less than 65 years of age with those older than 65 years of age treated at their institution.
The researchers analyzed the medical records of 579 patients who were treated between 2000 and 2010. Results showed that patients older than 65 years were less likely to receive any chemotherapy for their cancer. In addition, those over 65 who were treated were less likely to receive more than 1 agent.
Researchers found that survival was comparable between the two cohorts. In both groups, a higher number of treatment agents and lung metastatases was associated with longer overall survival, while liver metastates were associated with worse survival.
The findings suggest that older patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer with good performance status should be encouraged to enroll onto clinical trials.
Older patients metastatic pancreatic cancer are less likely to receive chemotherapy compared with younger patients with metastatic disease.
- "Light" Cigarettes and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Disease-Free Survival After Breast Cancer Comparable With Exemestane, Sequential Tamoxifen/Exemestane
- Ixazomib, a New PI, Offers Improved Efficacy With Acceptable Toxicity Profile for Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma
- Oropharyngeal Mucositis Pain Effectively Relieved With Indomethacin Oral Spray
- Vitamin D3 Supplementation Has No Impact on Breast Density Percentage, Breast Cancer Risk
- Dexamethasone-Induced Hiccups in Chemotherapy May be Prevented by Rotating to Methylprednisolone
- New Evidence Shows Metastases May Spread Independently of Lymph Nodes
- Long Term Survivors of Prostate Cancer Express Treatment Decision Regret for Up to 15 Years
- FDA Expands Clearance for Cooling Cap Use With Chemotherapy for Solid Tumors
- Recommendations for Vaccine Administration During Chemotherapy
- Palliative Cancer Care Should Focus on Symptoms, Not Diagnoses
- COX-2 Inhibitors Can Improve Response to Immunotherapy of Some Cancer Tumors
- Risk for Prostate Cancer Not Associated With Vasectomy, Meta-analysis Affirms
- Treating the Other "Patient": Depressive Symptoms Are Predictive of Declining Physical Health in Caregivers
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|