Oral palonosetron noninferior to IV formulation for CINV prevention
the ONA take:
Oral palonosetron is non-inferior to intravenous palonosetron for the prevention of cisplatin-related chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV), according to a study published in the October 2015 issue of the journal Supportive Care in Cancer.
For the study, a team of researchers led by Prof. Dr. med. Meinolf Karthaus of the Department of Hematology and Oncology at Klinikum Neuperlach in Munich, Germany, sought to compare the efficacy and safety of oral palonosetron with intravenous palonosetron for the prevention cisplatin-based highly emetogenic chemotherapy.
Researchers enrolled 743 chemotherapy-naive adults with malignant solid tumors initiating cisplatin-based chemotherapy. Patients were randomly assigned to receive palonosetron 0.50mg orally or 0.25mg intravenously plus oral dexamethasone.
Results showed that the complete response rate in the acute phase was higher than 86% in both treatment arms and the safety profiles were comparable.
Treatment-emergent adverse events related to palonosetron occurred in 3.2% of patients in the oral palonosetron group and 6.5% in the intravenous group.
Oral palonosetron is non-inferior to intravenous palonosetron for the prevention of cisplatin-related chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Prevent Breast Cancer Recurrence
- BBD Regimen Efficacious as First-line Therapy for Myeloma
- Idelalisib Increases Progression-Free Survival in Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Trends in Behaviors, Medical Practice Indicate Mortality From Melanoma Will Decline
- Pembrolizumab Active Against Rare Melanoma, Extends Survival in Bladder Cancer
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Nut Consumption Inversely Associated With Lung Cancer Risk
- Decipher Genomic Classifier Prognostic for Distant Prostate Metastasis
- GUCS 2017: Adjuvant Trials in Post-radical Prostatectomy Prostate Cancer Feasible
- Annual Screening of High-Risk Smokers Only More Cost-effective Than Current Methods
- Blood Test Predicts Stem Cell Transplant Success in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Metronomic Chemotherapy: Improved Tumor Blood Supply Leads to Better Treatment
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|