New cool climate fruit crop in Canada has potential as anticancer super food
the ONA take:
Hippocrates, the father of medicine, stated, “Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food.”
Researchers in Canada are taking those words to heart and have begun a new research initiative on the disease fighting power of haskap, the newest cool climate fruit crop in Nova Scotia. Haskap is also known as blue honeysuckle or honeyberry; it is a small blue berry similar to a blueberry.
Vasantha Rupasinghe, Canada Research Chair in Fruit Bioactives and BioProducts, is leading the team in this initiative. The fruit, which is rich in dietary antioxidants such as flavonoids, has potential to fight cancer if consumed daily along with other healthy lifestyle practices.
Their investigations include testing the anticancer activity of haskap bioactives on lung cancer cells; developing a manufacturing process that will optimize retention of the bioactives, vitamins, and anthocyanins in the fruit; and exploring its potential as a cancer-preventive food product.
The berry is new Canada; however, it has been used to treat many diseases in other countries such as Northern Russia, Japan, and China.
The research team is also working with LaHave Forests Farm, which has 60 acres of haskap orchards and plans to expand its orchards as well as sell plants to other farmers in Nova Scotia to encourage expanding the supply of the fruit.
The fruit has potential to fight cancer if consumed daily along with other healthy lifestyle practices.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- Risk for Cardiovascular Disease Higher in Survivors of Testicular Cancer
- Age Not a Deterrent to Immunotherapy for Malignant Melanoma
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Nabilone Improves Cancer-Associated Anorexia in Lung Cancer
- Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Test for Select BRCA Mutations Gets FDA Nod
- Patients With Head and Neck Cancer Have Greater Chance of Being Prescribed Opioids
- Medical Terms in Patient Education: Using the Confusing to Explain the Complicated
- Bedside Assessment Tool Improves Worst Pain in Patients With Cancer
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|