New cool climate fruit crop in Canada has potential as anticancer super food
the ONA take:
Hippocrates, the father of medicine, stated, “Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food.”
Researchers in Canada are taking those words to heart and have begun a new research initiative on the disease fighting power of haskap, the newest cool climate fruit crop in Nova Scotia. Haskap is also known as blue honeysuckle or honeyberry; it is a small blue berry similar to a blueberry.
Vasantha Rupasinghe, Canada Research Chair in Fruit Bioactives and BioProducts, is leading the team in this initiative. The fruit, which is rich in dietary antioxidants such as flavonoids, has potential to fight cancer if consumed daily along with other healthy lifestyle practices.
Their investigations include testing the anticancer activity of haskap bioactives on lung cancer cells; developing a manufacturing process that will optimize retention of the bioactives, vitamins, and anthocyanins in the fruit; and exploring its potential as a cancer-preventive food product.
The berry is new Canada; however, it has been used to treat many diseases in other countries such as Northern Russia, Japan, and China.
The research team is also working with LaHave Forests Farm, which has 60 acres of haskap orchards and plans to expand its orchards as well as sell plants to other farmers in Nova Scotia to encourage expanding the supply of the fruit.
The fruit has potential to fight cancer if consumed daily along with other healthy lifestyle practices.
- Short-Term Intervention May Have Long-term Diet Effect in Hispanic Breast Cancer Survivors
- Childhood Cancer Linked to Poor Diet Quality in Adult Survivors
- Low-Dose Sublingual Fentanyl Safe, Effective in Patients Receiving Lower Opioid Doses
- Atezolizumab Granted FDA Approval for Specific Cases of NSCLC
- New Research Identifies Potential Bladder Cancer Chemotherapy Side Effect
- Overall Benefits of Vaporized Nicotine Products Outweigh Harms, Says International Panel of Experts
- Sugar and Cancer: Mitigating the Affects of Diet on Cancer
- Nurse Residency Programs Can Impact Oncology Nursing Practice, Outcomes
- Implementing a Distress Screening Process for Cancer Patients
- Initiating Palliative Care in the Emergency Department
- HIIT Improves Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Patients With Resectable NSCLC
- More Than Half of Melanomas Are Self-Detected, Especially by Women
- Recurrence Score Appears To Be Driving Personalized Treatment for Breast Cancer
- Smoking-related Cancer Deaths Highest in Southern United States
- Study Suggests More Men With Prostate Cancer Would Choose Active Surveillance if it Were Offered
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|