New cool climate fruit crop in Canada has potential as anticancer super food
the ONA take:
Hippocrates, the father of medicine, stated, “Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food.”
Researchers in Canada are taking those words to heart and have begun a new research initiative on the disease fighting power of haskap, the newest cool climate fruit crop in Nova Scotia. Haskap is also known as blue honeysuckle or honeyberry; it is a small blue berry similar to a blueberry.
Vasantha Rupasinghe, Canada Research Chair in Fruit Bioactives and BioProducts, is leading the team in this initiative. The fruit, which is rich in dietary antioxidants such as flavonoids, has potential to fight cancer if consumed daily along with other healthy lifestyle practices.
Their investigations include testing the anticancer activity of haskap bioactives on lung cancer cells; developing a manufacturing process that will optimize retention of the bioactives, vitamins, and anthocyanins in the fruit; and exploring its potential as a cancer-preventive food product.
The berry is new Canada; however, it has been used to treat many diseases in other countries such as Northern Russia, Japan, and China.
The research team is also working with LaHave Forests Farm, which has 60 acres of haskap orchards and plans to expand its orchards as well as sell plants to other farmers in Nova Scotia to encourage expanding the supply of the fruit.
The fruit has potential to fight cancer if consumed daily along with other healthy lifestyle practices.
- Study Identifies Factors Associated With Hearing Loss in Polycythemia Vera
- High Symptom Burden With Polycythemia Vera Linked to QoL Impairment
- Bioimpedence Spectroscopy Improves Early Detection of Breast Cancer-Related Lymphedema in At-Risk Patients
- Ezh2 Inhibitors May Offer Cure for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
- MRD Negativity Associated With Prolonged Survival in Myeloma
- Overall Benefits of Vaporized Nicotine Products Outweigh Harms, Says International Panel of Experts
- Sugar and Cancer: Mitigating the Affects of Diet on Cancer
- Nurse Residency Programs Can Impact Oncology Nursing Practice, Outcomes
- Tumor Markers (Fact Sheet)
- Implementing a Distress Screening Process for Cancer Patients
- ASCO, ASTRO Issue Guideline Update for Postmastectomy RT
- Study Assesses Efficacy of Ramucirumab in HCC by Child-Pugh Score
- Incontinence Affects QOL for Survivors of Gynecologic Cancers
- Patient Navigation Reduces Delays in Diagnostic Resolution
- Fee-for-service Medicare Plans Linked to Improved Care During Last Year of Life
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|