Moderate lifetime marijuana smoking not associated with lung function decline
the ONA take:
According to a new study published online in the journal Annals of the American Thoracic Society, researchers at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, have found that moderate lifetime marijuana use is associated with airway inflammation, but not significant changes in lung function.
For the study, researchers analyzed data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). They identified over 5,000 adult survey participants with data on recent marijuana use and respiratory symptoms. Results showed that nearly 60% reported using marijuana at least once during their lifetime, and about 12% said they had used marijuana in the last month.
Among the 3,000 adult participants who had patterns of lifetime marijuana use, cumulative exposure of less than 20 joint-years was not linked with significant changes in lung function; however, more than 20 joint-years of marijuana exposure was associated with clinically significant changes in lung function.
The results do not show whether this change in lung function represents early lung function decline like that of long-term tobacco use. Researchers also found that marijuana smoking increased respiratory irritation, but the study could not determine whether those symptoms were permanent.
The researchers note that they did not assess an association between marijuana use and cancer.
Moderate lifetime marijuana use is associated with airway inflammation, but not significant changes in lung function.
- Acupuncture Improves Postoperative Symptoms in Women Undergoing Surgery for Breast Cancer
- Prehabilitation Program Improves Preoperative Fitness in Patients With Colorectal Cancer
- Alcohol Consumption, Particularly White Wine, Associated With Increased Risk of Melanoma
- Combination of Gemcitabine and New CHK1 Inhibitor Is Effective in Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Omitting RT in Certain Older Women With Early Breast Cancer is Safe
- Exercise is as Effective in Treating Metastatic Prostate Cancer as Medication
- Walnut Consumption Changes Gut Microbiome, Decreases Growth of Colon Cancer in Mice
- Vaccine Enters Phase I Study for Safety and Effectiveness in Multiple Myeloma
- Timing Chemotherapy Administration to Circadian Rhythm Improves Drug Effectiveness
- New Therapy Blocks Breast Cancer Cells From Entering and Hiding in Bone Marrow to Form Latent Metastases
- Community Breast Navigation Program Improved Breast Screening Rates in Underserved African American and Latino Women
- Live-streamed Videos Address End-of-Life Planning, Decision-making
- Metastatic Disease Linked to Patients Reporting Diminished QoL
- History of Bilateral Salpingo-oophorectomy, Hormone Replacement Therapy Are Predictive of Breast Density at Cancer Diagnosis
- Mammographically Occult Contralateral Breast Cancer Detection is Effective With Preoperative MRI
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|