Leuprolide plus donepezil may stabilize memory loss in Alzheimer's disease
the ONA take:
According to a new study published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, researchers have found that leuprolide, a drug commonly used for androgen deprivation therapy for patients with prostate cancer, stabilized memory loss for a year in women with Alzheimer's disease.
For the study, researchers enrolled 109 women with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease. Some women were treated with high-dose leuprolide acetate and donepezil, an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor that treats symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.
Other patients received an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor plus low-dose leuprolide or placebo. Results showed that those treated with donepezil and high-dose leuprolide had nearly no decline in their ADAS-cog score, a memory test, while those treated with an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor plus low-dose leuprolide or placebo experienced declines after 1 year.
Previous studies have suggested the leuprolide has protective benefits for Alzheimer's disease. One study found that men treated with leuprolide for prostate cancer were 34-55% less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease compared with men who did not receive the injection.
The researchers suggest that this promising drug combination should be tested in patients with early and late stages of the disease, but because the company that initially conducted this research is now out of business, it is unclear whether this therapy will be further developed.
Leuprolide stabilized memory loss for a year in women with Alzheimer's disease.
- Acupuncture Improves Postoperative Symptoms in Women Undergoing Surgery for Breast Cancer
- Prehabilitation Program Improves Preoperative Fitness in Patients With Colorectal Cancer
- Alcohol Consumption, Particularly White Wine, Associated With Increased Risk of Melanoma
- Combination of Gemcitabine and New CHK1 Inhibitor Is Effective in Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Omitting RT in Certain Older Women With Early Breast Cancer is Safe
- Exercise is as Effective in Treating Metastatic Prostate Cancer as Medication
- Walnut Consumption Changes Gut Microbiome, Decreases Growth of Colon Cancer in Mice
- Vaccine Enters Phase I Study for Safety and Effectiveness in Multiple Myeloma
- Timing Chemotherapy Administration to Circadian Rhythm Improves Drug Effectiveness
- New Therapy Blocks Breast Cancer Cells From Entering and Hiding in Bone Marrow to Form Latent Metastases
- Community Breast Navigation Program Improved Breast Screening Rates in Underserved African American and Latino Women
- Live-streamed Videos Address End-of-Life Planning, Decision-making
- Metastatic Disease Linked to Patients Reporting Diminished QoL
- History of Bilateral Salpingo-oophorectomy, Hormone Replacement Therapy Are Predictive of Breast Density at Cancer Diagnosis
- Mammographically Occult Contralateral Breast Cancer Detection is Effective With Preoperative MRI
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|