Isavuconazole safe and effective to treat aspergillus infection in patients with cancer
the ONA take:
According to new research presented at the 54th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC 2014), isavuconazole is as effective as voriconazole for the treatment of aspergillus infection in patients with cancer. In the phase 3 study comparing isavuconazole, new antifungal agent, with voriconazole in patients with uncontrolled cancer, researchers found that the two agents were equally efficacious against the invasive fungal disease.
Furthermore, researchers observed fewer adverse effects associated with isavuconazole versus voriconazole. Compared with those that took voriconzaole, patients who took isavuconazole had less ocular, epidermal, and hepatobiliary toxicity.
Fungal infections caused by aspergillus and other fungi can be particularly harmful in immunocompromised patients undergoing treatment for cancer. These fungal infections often increase morbidity and mortality in these patients, especially those with hematological malignancies like leukemia and lymphoma.
Based on the results of the study, Astellas and Basilea Pharmaceutica International Ltd. have submitted a new drug application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for isavuconazole for the treatment of invasive aspergillosis and invasive mucormycosis.
Isavuconazole as effective as voriconazole for treatment of aspergillus infection in patients with cancer.
- Immunotherapy May Benefit Some Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
- New Study Questions Standard Dosage for Treating Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Superior Tolerability, Efficacy With Alectinib in Treatment-Naïve ALK-poistive NSCLC
- Adding Pertuzumab to Adjuvant Therapy Is Beneficial for Some Women with Early Breast Cancer
- Clinical Trials May Benefit Oncology Patients
- Survivorship Care Plans: Providing A Blueprint for Health Care After Cancer
- Cancer Recurrence Fear Reduced by Novel Psychological Intervention
- Multifaceted Role of the Nurse Navigator Includes Palliative, Supportive Care
- Patient Navigators Found to Boost Lung Cancer Screening Rates
- Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Nurse Navigation Survey
- Radiotherapy is Essential in Treating Brain Tumors But Associated With Significant Adverse Events
- Prostate-specific PET and CT Imaging Improves Detection of Disease and Patient Care
- Lenvatinib Improves OS, PFS in Radioiodine-Refractory Differentiated Thyroid Cancer in All Older Patients
- Breast Cancer Overdiagnosis Also a Result of Screening Mammography Programs
- Use of Aspirin, NSAIDs Correlates with Improved Overall Survival in Colorectal Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|