HPV vaccination of girls offers benefits to men but does not reduce risk of some cancers
the ONA take:
The association between human papillomavirus (HPV) and cervical cancer in women is well established.
Furthermore, vaccinating girls has had a positive impact on the incidence of cervical cancer in many countries in which the practice was adopted.
Men benefit indirectly from vaccinating girls in that their risk of contracting HPV is reduced; however, this does not protect men from cancers associated with the virus.
The HPV vaccine has been found effective in boys, but universal vaccination of boys is practiced in only a few countries (Australia, Austria, two Canadian provinces, and the United States).
Dutch researchers sought to estimate the benefit to men if boys were vaccinated against HPV, as well.
Their findings show that benefits from vaccinating boys would not be as significant as they are in girls. Therefore, the researchers suggest that programs for vaccinating girls should continue but including boys may be warranted.
Men benefit indirectly but not from cancer risk associated with the virus.
- Blood Test Predicts Stem Cell Transplant Success in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Immunotherapy and the Future of Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Pembrolizumab Active Against Rare Melanoma, Extends Survival in Bladder Cancer
- Elderly with NSCLC Can Tolerate Aggressive Radiation Therapy Treatments
- Women Treated for DCIS Have Slightly Lower Risk for All-Cause Mortality
- Lung Cancer Screening Rates Low Among Present and Former Smokers
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Follow-up Rates in Active Surveillance for Prostate Cancer Higher in University-Based vs Safety-Net Hospitals
- Pediatric Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Challenges and Solutions
- Earlier and Later Adult BMI Associated With Multiple Myeloma Risk
- Cost-Effectiveness of Immunotherapy for Advanced Melanoma Evaluated
- VBPWPs Can Compliment Patient Management in Clinical Trials
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|