Unique characteristics of informal hospice cancer caregiving
the ONA take:
According to a recent study published in the journal Supportive Care in Cancer, researchers from the University of Missouri in Columbia and University of Washington in Seattle have identified unique characteristics of informal caregivers of patients with cancer that will ultimately help hospice providers to better address cancer caregivers' needs.
For the study, researchers analyzed data from a randomized clinical trial that included 348 informal hospice caregivers and compared the differences between cancer and non-cancer caregivers.
Results showed that informal caregivers of patients with cancer differed from non-cancer caregivers in respect to caregiver age, patient age, patient residence, amount and duration of care provided, relationship between caregiver and patient, likelihood to incur out-of-pocket expenses related to caring for the patient, effect on caregiver daily schedule, and caregiver problem-solving approach.
On the other hand, researchers found no significant differences between cancer caregivers and their non-cancer counterparts in regard to anxiety, employment status, gender, race, and quality of life.
The authors note that hospice providers can use these findings to customize supportive care interventions to more effectively address the needs of cancer caregivers.
Unique characteristics of informal caregivers of patients with cancer that will ultimately help hospice providers.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Education May Better Equip Nurses to Hold End-of-Life Conversations in Advanced Cancer
- Avoiding the ED: Planned Strategies for Unplanned Urgent Cancer Care
- NP-Led Clinics Improved Phase 1 Oncology Study Operations, Outcomes
- Accurate Understanding of Capacity May Improve Workflow, Efficiency in Infusion Suite
- Art as Palliative Care: Bedside Intervention Improves Pain, Anxiety, Mood in Hospitalized Cancer Patients
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|