Hormone replacement therapy safe, may be beneficial for women treated for ovarian cancer
the ONA take:
Women with epithelial ovarian cancer, the most common type, can safely take hormone replacement therapy (HRT); furthermore, HRT can have a beneficial effect on their survival, according to a 24-year, phase III international trial.
Researchers at The Institute of Cancer Research, London, and The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust led the trial, which is the largest trial to investigate HRT’s effects on ovarian cancer survival.
The trial was set up in 1990 and followed 150 women with epithelial ovarian cancer. Half of the women were allocated to receive HRT during their treatment for up to 5 years, and half did not receive HRT. Overall survival in the two groups was compared at a point in 2012, 22 years after the trial began.
In the HRT arm of the trial, 53 of the 75 women (71%) had died, compared with 68 of the 75 women (91%) who had not taken HRT.
The researchers report these results are relevant to a large proportion of women with ovarian cancer because its treatment can trigger menopause.
“We were really happy to be able to show that HRT is safe for women with the most common type of ovarian cancer. Whether or not to have HRT is a very important decision for a large proportion of women with ovarian cancer, who will often have to undergo the menopause due to the cancer treatment at the same time as coping with a cancer diagnosis,” said study clinical lead Professor Ros Eeles, professor of Oncogenetics at The Institute of Cancer Research, London, and consultant at The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust.
Women with epithelial ovarian cancer, the most common type, can safely take hormone replacement therapy.
- Prolonged Imatinib Therapy Improves Likelihood of Deeper Molecular Response
- Ruxolitinib Effective as Long-term Treatment Option for Polycythemia Vera
- Study Affirms Activity of Ibrutinib in Patients With R/R CLL With 17p Deletion
- Patients Receiving RT in APBI Facilities Despite Eligibility for Observation
- ASCO, ASTRO Issue Guideline Update for Postmastectomy RT
- Overall Benefits of Vaporized Nicotine Products Outweigh Harms, Says International Panel of Experts
- Sugar and Cancer: Mitigating the Affects of Diet on Cancer
- Nurse Residency Programs Can Impact Oncology Nursing Practice, Outcomes
- Tumor Markers (Fact Sheet)
- Implementing a Distress Screening Process for Cancer Patients
- Longer Maintenance Therapy Duration May Improve Survival in Myeloma
- HRQoL Better Maintained With Pembrolizumab in Ipilimumab-refractory Melanoma
- MRD Assessment Improves PFS Prediction in Patients With CLL
- Cancer Patients Have Unrealistic Hopes When Entering Clinical Trials
- Ofatumumab With Fludarabine, Cyclophosphamide Approved for Relapsed CLL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|