Hodgkin's lymphoma survivors may have increased risk for cardiovascular disease
the ONA take:
According to a new study published online in JAMA Internal Medicine, researchers in the Netherlands have found that survivors of Hodgkin's lymphoma may be at a higher risk for cardiovascular diseases.
For the study, researchers evaluated 2,524 Dutch patients diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma at younger than 51 years of age who had survived for 5 years after diagnosis. Patients had received mediastinal radiotherapy and anthracycline-containing chemotherapy.
Results showed that Hodgkin's lymphoma survivors had a 4-fold to 7-fold increased risk for coronary heart disease or heart failure 35 years or more after cancer treatment compared with the general population.
Researchers also found that mediastinal radiotherapy increased the risk for coronary heart disease, valvular heart disease, and heart failure, while those who received anthracycline-containing chemotherapy had a higher risk for valvular heart disease and heart failure as first events events versus patients who did not receive those treatments.
The findings suggest that "treating physicians and patients should be aware of the persistently increased risk of cardiovascular diseases throughout life, and the results of our study may direct guidelines for follow-up of patients with HL."
Survivors of Hodgkin's lymphoma may be at a higher risk for cardiovascular diseases.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Avoiding the ED: Planned Strategies for Unplanned Urgent Cancer Care
- NP-Led Clinics Improved Phase 1 Oncology Study Operations, Outcomes
- Art as Palliative Care: Bedside Intervention Improves Pain, Anxiety, Mood in Hospitalized Cancer Patients
- Unprotected Sex After Chemotherapy
- Mindfulness Training May Improve End-of-Life Conversations in Advanced Cancer
- Study Suggests Greater Focus on the Needs of Family Caregivers of Patients With Cancer
- First Antibody-Based Treatment Regimen Approved for First-Line Treatment of Multiple Myeloma
- Increased Diabetes Risk Associated With Cancer Development
- Childhood Neuroblastoma Survivors at Risk for Psych Impairment
- Drug Classification of Trastuzumab
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|