Attitudes, beliefs toward end-of-life care differ between hematologic, solid tumor specialists
the ONA take:
Researchers at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center conducted a survey to compare the attitudes and beliefs toward palliative care among hematologic versus solid tumor specialists.
They randomly surveyed 120 hematologists and 120 solid tumor oncologists at the institution; 182 clinicians (76%) responded.
The survey questions examined the participants’ attitudes toward various aspects of end-of-life care, including use of palliative systemic therapy.
The researchers found significant differences in attitudes and beliefs toward end-of-life care. Hematologic specialty and comfort level with prescribing treatment to patients with Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status 4 and an expected survival of 1 month were associated with the decision to treat in the last month of life.
Survey compares attitudes and beliefs toward palliative care among hematologic versus solid tumor specialists.
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Prevent Breast Cancer Recurrence
- BBD Regimen Efficacious as First-line Therapy for Myeloma
- Idelalisib Increases Progression-Free Survival in Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Some Early Breast Cancer Patients Should Have Breast Conservation Instead of Mastectomy
- Trends in Behaviors, Medical Practice Indicate Mortality From Melanoma Will Decline
- Survivors Reporting Chronic Neuropathic Pain Struggle to Retain Jobs
- Timing of Chemotherapy Infusion Affects Inflammatory Response to Chemotherapy
- Postoperative Gemcitabine Plus Capecitabine: A New Standard of Care for Pancreatic Cancer
- Blood-Forming Stem Cell Transplants (Fact Sheet)
- Nut Consumption Inversely Associated With Lung Cancer Risk
- Decipher Genomic Classifier Prognostic for Distant Prostate Metastasis
- GUCS 2017: Adjuvant Trials in Post-radical Prostatectomy Prostate Cancer Feasible
- Annual Screening of High-Risk Smokers Only More Cost-effective Than Current Methods
- Blood Test Predicts Stem Cell Transplant Success in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Metronomic Chemotherapy: Improved Tumor Blood Supply Leads to Better Treatment
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|