Green tea consumption may prevent, treat prostate cancer
the ONA take:
According to a new study published in the journal The Prostate, brewed green tea may have a role a in the prevention and treatment of prostate cancer and other prostate conditions like prostatitis.
For the exploratory, open label, phase 2 study, researchers sought to investigate the effect of green tea and black tea consumption on prostate cancer biomarkers.
They enrolled 113 men with prostate cancer and randomly assigned them to consume six cups daily of brewed green tea, black tea, or water before undergoing a radical prostatectomy. Of the 113 patients enrolled, 93 completed the study. Results showed no significant difference in biomarkers that measure proliferation, apoptosis, or oxidation in radical prostatectomy tissue among the three groups.
A biomarker that measures inflammation, called NFκB was significantly lower in the tissue of men that consumed green tea compared with those who consumed water (P = 0.013), but there was no difference between black tea and water (P = 0.931). In addition, nearly all of the men who consumed green tea had tea polyphenols detected in their prostate tissue, but no men who consumed black tea were found to have the chemicals.
Furthermore, those who consumed green tea had evidence of a systemic antioxidant effect (P = 0.03) and a small but statistically significant PSA level reduction (P = 0.04). The findings suggest that further studies to examine the effect of green tea on prostate cancer prevention and treatment are warranted.
Green tea may have a role a in the prevention and treatment of prostate cancer and other prostate conditions like prostatitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|