Granisetron plus dexamethasone may increase arrhythmia risk
the ONA take:
According to two studies published online ahead of print in the journal BMC Medicine, researchers have found that granisetron, a serotonin 5HT3 receptor antagonist, plus dexamethasone may increase a patient's risk for developing an arrhythmia.
Most arrhythmias are no serious; however, some put patients at a higher risk for stroke, heart failure, or cardiac arrest.
Serotonin receptor antagonists, such as granisetron, ondansetron, and palonosetron, are commony used to reduce nausea and vomiting in patients receiving moderately or highly emetogenic chemotherapy, as well as in those undergoing surgery.
Results of the studies showed that the safest serotonin receptor antagonists in combination with a steroid with respect to arrhythmia were ondansetron plus dexamethasone, and dolasetron for patients of all ages.
The studies were conducted in patients undergoing anesthesia for surgery.
Granisetron plus dexamethasone may increase a patient's risk for developing an arrhythmia.
- Immunotherapy May Benefit Some Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
- Screening Recommendations for Children with Common Cancer Predisposition Syndromes
- Significance of Prostate Cancer Treatment-Related Factors Differ in Black, White Men
- New Study Questions Standard Dosage for Treating Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Superior Tolerability, Efficacy With Alectinib in Treatment-Naïve ALK-poistive NSCLC
- Survivorship Care Plans: Providing A Blueprint for Health Care After Cancer
- Cancer Recurrence Fear Reduced by Novel Psychological Intervention
- Multifaceted Role of the Nurse Navigator Includes Palliative, Supportive Care
- Patient Navigators Found to Boost Lung Cancer Screening Rates
- Lack of Transfusion Services a Barrier to Hospice Care for Patients With Blood Cancers
- Cancer Risk Not Increased by Childhood Exposure to Diagnostic Radiation
- Aspirin Use May Lower Breast Cancer Risk in Women with Diabetes
- Ethnic Differences, Cultural Barriers Negatively Impact Mammography Follow-up Among Asian Ethnic Groups
- Study Questions Safety of E-cigarettes vs Regular Tobacco Cigarettes
- Changes in Pulmonary Function Tests in Breast Carcinoma Patients Treated With Locoregional Post-mastectomy Radiotherapy: Results of a Pilot Study
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|