Nutrition support may prolong survival in high risk patients with gastric cancer
the ONA take:
According to a new study published in the journal Supportive Care in Cancer, researchers in China have found that nutrition support might be helpful to improve the prognosis of patients with stage IV gastric cancer whose Nutritional Risk Screening (NRS) score is 3 or higher.
For the study, researchers sought to evaluate whether nutrition support can extend survival of patients with advanced gastric cancer cancer.
Researchers prospectively evaluated the nutritional risk of 830 patients with gastric adenocarcinoma. Of those, 50.7% had an NRS ≥3. Then, patients with stage IV disease whose NRS was ≥3 were given nutrition support.
Results showed that NRS ≥3 was an independent adverse prognostic factor in patients with gastric cancer. Median survival was over 6 months longer in patients with an NRS <3.
In addition, among the 347 patients with an NRS ≥3 who were given nutrition support, those who were young, male, and achieved a good response to chemotherapy were more likely to shirt to NRS <3 after nutrition support.
Researchers found that median overall survival was 14.3 months for patients with the NRS shift compared with 9.6 months for those without the shift.
Nutrition support might be helpful to improve the prognosis of patients with stage IV gastric cancer.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Avoiding the ED: Planned Strategies for Unplanned Urgent Cancer Care
- NP-Led Clinics Improved Phase 1 Oncology Study Operations, Outcomes
- Art as Palliative Care: Bedside Intervention Improves Pain, Anxiety, Mood in Hospitalized Cancer Patients
- Unprotected Sex After Chemotherapy
- Mindfulness Training May Improve End-of-Life Conversations in Advanced Cancer
- Study Suggests Greater Focus on the Needs of Family Caregivers of Patients With Cancer
- First Antibody-Based Treatment Regimen Approved for First-Line Treatment of Multiple Myeloma
- Increased Diabetes Risk Associated With Cancer Development
- Childhood Neuroblastoma Survivors at Risk for Psych Impairment
- Drug Classification of Trastuzumab
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|