Chemotherapy less likely to benefit older patients with breast cancer
the ONA take:
Examining data from Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) database, researchers from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) found that chemotherapy does not improve survival for older women with breast cancer.
SEER database provided information on 14,440 women with stage I to IIIA hormone receptor-negative breast cancer and 26,893 men and women with stage III colon cancer. All diagnoses were made between 1992 and 2009, and all patients were older than 65 years.
Risk of death from all causes decreased by age among the women who had breast cancer (30% for women ages 65 to 69 years; 26% for ages 70 to 74 years; 24% for ages 75 to 79). The risk of mortality was not significantly reduced for women older than 80 years.
However, this trend was not seen among men and women with colon cancer. Chemotherapy remained effective for these patients until age 89 years.
The investigators noted that previous research showed that chemotherapy is inefficient in patients older than 70 years with breast cancer, but the sample sizes were small. The larger sample size used in this study provides strong evidence to support this finding.
Chemotherapy does not improve survival for older women with breast cancer.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Avoiding the ED: Planned Strategies for Unplanned Urgent Cancer Care
- NP-Led Clinics Improved Phase 1 Oncology Study Operations, Outcomes
- Art as Palliative Care: Bedside Intervention Improves Pain, Anxiety, Mood in Hospitalized Cancer Patients
- Unprotected Sex After Chemotherapy
- Mindfulness Training May Improve End-of-Life Conversations in Advanced Cancer
- Aligning Patient Goals With End of Life Treatment Decisions
- Study Suggests Greater Focus on the Needs of Family Caregivers of Patients With Cancer
- First Antibody-Based Treatment Regimen Approved for First-Line Treatment of Multiple Myeloma
- Increased Diabetes Risk Associated With Cancer Development
- Childhood Neuroblastoma Survivors at Risk for Psych Impairment
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|