Aromatase inhibitors substantially reduce risk of death in ER-positive breast cancer
the ONA take:
According to a study published in the journal The Lancet, researchers have found that aromatase inhibitors significantly decrease the risk of death in postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer.
For the meta-analysis, researchers analyzed data from 31,920 postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor-positive early breast cancer. Researchers compared the impact of aromatase inhibitor treatment with tamoxifen treatment on breast cancer recurrence, breast cancer mortality, death without recurrence, and all-cause mortality.
Results showed that aromatase inhibitors reduce recurrence rates by approximately 30% more than with tamoxifen. Researchers found that 5 years of aromatase inhibitor treatment decreases 10-year breast cancer mortality by about 15% more than with 5 years of tamoxifen, and by about 40% more compared with no endocrine treatment at all.
"Our global collaboration has revealed that the risk of postmenopausal women with the most common form of breast cancer dying of their disease is reduced by 40% by taking five years of an aromatase inhibitor - a significantly greater protection than that offered by tamoxifen," lead author Professor Mitch Dowsett, Head of the Academic Department of Biochemistry and of the Centre for Molecular Pathology at The Royal Marsden and The Institute of Cancer Research, London, said.
Aromatase inhibitors significantly decrease the risk of death in postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer.
- Acupuncture Improves Postoperative Symptoms in Women Undergoing Surgery for Breast Cancer
- Prehabilitation Program Improves Preoperative Fitness in Patients With Colorectal Cancer
- Alcohol Consumption, Particularly White Wine, Associated With Increased Risk of Melanoma
- Combination of Gemcitabine and New CHK1 Inhibitor Is Effective in Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- Omitting RT in Certain Older Women With Early Breast Cancer is Safe
- Walnut Consumption Changes Gut Microbiome, Decreases Growth of Colon Cancer in Mice
- Vaccine Enters Phase I Study for Safety and Effectiveness in Multiple Myeloma
- Timing Chemotherapy Administration to Circadian Rhythm Improves Drug Effectiveness
- New Therapy Blocks Breast Cancer Cells From Entering and Hiding in Bone Marrow to Form Latent Metastases
- Baseline PSA Levels in Midlife Could Predict Risk of Lethal Prostate Cancer
- Community Breast Navigation Program Improved Breast Screening Rates in Underserved African American and Latino Women
- Live-streamed Videos Address End-of-Life Planning, Decision-making
- Metastatic Disease Linked to Patients Reporting Diminished QoL
- History of Bilateral Salpingo-oophorectomy, Hormone Replacement Therapy Are Predictive of Breast Density at Cancer Diagnosis
- Mammographically Occult Contralateral Breast Cancer Detection is Effective With Preoperative MRI
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|