Most patients with bowel cancer not advised to exercise despite its health benefits
the ONA take:
Many patients with bowel cancer say they were not advised to exercise regularly after diagnosis. Exercise can help ease fatigue, depression, and anxiety; is linked to better survival and better quality of life for patients; and reduces the risk of recurrence.
However, a Cancer Research UK study has shown that many patients are not advised to be more active.
The researchers asked more than 15,000 patients with bowel cancer about their current level of exercise and whether they were advised to be more active.
Only 31% said they were advised to exercise at any point during their treatment, 69% said they were not advised at all.
Current NHS guidelines recommend that healthy people get at least 2.5 hours of moderate physical activity per week.
Although no guidelines specific to patients with bowel cancer are in place, the researchers recommend that patients discuss exercise with their doctor and get advice on what is safe for them and suits their lifestyle and ability.
Many patients with bowel cancer say they were not advised to exercise regularly after diagnosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|