One avocado a day helps lower low-density lipoprotein
the ONA take:
Eating at least one avocado a day as part of a moderate-fat diet could help to lower “bad” cholesterol among the overweight and obese, according to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association.
Researchers led by Penny M. Kris-Etherton, PhD, at the Pennsylvania State University examined 45 subjects who were 21 to 70 years of age and were either overweight or obese. They wanted to see how avocado consumption affected risk factors for cardiovascular disease by replacing saturated fatty acids, also known as “bad” fats.
Subjects were required to follow three cholesterol-lowering diets during the 5-week duration of the study: lower-fat diet without avocado, moderate-fat diet without avocado, or a moderate-fat diet with one Hass avocado per day.
The researchers found that those who followed a moderate-fat diet with one avocado per day had low-density lipoprotein (LDL) levels that were 13.5 mg/dL lower than the baseline average, compared to the lower-fat diets without an avocado which were 8.3 mg/DL lower, and moderate-fat diets without an avocado which were 7.4 mg/dL lower.
In addition, additional blood measurements such as total cholesterol, small dense LDL, triglycerides and non-HDL, were found to be better in the moderate-fat with avocado group compared with the other two groups.
However, the researchers warn that their findings are based on a “proof-of-concept investigation” without any “real-world” application as of yet.
Eating at least one avocado a day as part of a moderate-fat diet could help to lower “bad” cholesterol among the overweight and obese
- Immunotherapy May Benefit Some Patients with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
- Screening Recommendations for Children with Common Cancer Predisposition Syndromes
- Significance of Prostate Cancer Treatment-Related Factors Differ in Black, White Men
- New Study Questions Standard Dosage for Treating Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Superior Tolerability, Efficacy With Alectinib in Treatment-Naïve ALK-poistive NSCLC
- Survivorship Care Plans: Providing A Blueprint for Health Care After Cancer
- Cancer Recurrence Fear Reduced by Novel Psychological Intervention
- Multifaceted Role of the Nurse Navigator Includes Palliative, Supportive Care
- Patient Navigators Found to Boost Lung Cancer Screening Rates
- Lack of Transfusion Services a Barrier to Hospice Care for Patients With Blood Cancers
- Aspirin Use May Lower Breast Cancer Risk in Women with Diabetes
- Ethnic Differences, Cultural Barriers Negatively Impact Mammography Follow-up Among Asian Ethnic Groups
- Study Questions Safety of E-cigarettes vs Regular Tobacco Cigarettes
- Changes in Pulmonary Function Tests in Breast Carcinoma Patients Treated With Locoregional Post-mastectomy Radiotherapy: Results of a Pilot Study
- Increases in Liver Cancer Incidence Influenced by Higher Rates of Comorbidities
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|