One avocado a day helps lower low-density lipoprotein
the ONA take:
Eating at least one avocado a day as part of a moderate-fat diet could help to lower “bad” cholesterol among the overweight and obese, according to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association.
Researchers led by Penny M. Kris-Etherton, PhD, at the Pennsylvania State University examined 45 subjects who were 21 to 70 years of age and were either overweight or obese. They wanted to see how avocado consumption affected risk factors for cardiovascular disease by replacing saturated fatty acids, also known as “bad” fats.
Subjects were required to follow three cholesterol-lowering diets during the 5-week duration of the study: lower-fat diet without avocado, moderate-fat diet without avocado, or a moderate-fat diet with one Hass avocado per day.
The researchers found that those who followed a moderate-fat diet with one avocado per day had low-density lipoprotein (LDL) levels that were 13.5 mg/dL lower than the baseline average, compared to the lower-fat diets without an avocado which were 8.3 mg/DL lower, and moderate-fat diets without an avocado which were 7.4 mg/dL lower.
In addition, additional blood measurements such as total cholesterol, small dense LDL, triglycerides and non-HDL, were found to be better in the moderate-fat with avocado group compared with the other two groups.
However, the researchers warn that their findings are based on a “proof-of-concept investigation” without any “real-world” application as of yet.
Eating at least one avocado a day as part of a moderate-fat diet could help to lower “bad” cholesterol among the overweight and obese
- Study Identifies Factors Associated With Hearing Loss in Polycythemia Vera
- High Symptom Burden With Polycythemia Vera Linked to QoL Impairment
- Bioimpedence Spectroscopy Improves Early Detection of Breast Cancer-Related Lymphedema in At-Risk Patients
- Ezh2 Inhibitors May Offer Cure for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
- MRD Negativity Associated With Prolonged Survival in Myeloma
- Overall Benefits of Vaporized Nicotine Products Outweigh Harms, Says International Panel of Experts
- Sugar and Cancer: Mitigating the Affects of Diet on Cancer
- Nurse Residency Programs Can Impact Oncology Nursing Practice, Outcomes
- Tumor Markers (Fact Sheet)
- Implementing a Distress Screening Process for Cancer Patients
- ASCO, ASTRO Issue Guideline Update for Postmastectomy RT
- Study Assesses Efficacy of Ramucirumab in HCC by Child-Pugh Score
- Incontinence Affects QOL for Survivors of Gynecologic Cancers
- Patient Navigation Reduces Delays in Diagnostic Resolution
- Fee-for-service Medicare Plans Linked to Improved Care During Last Year of Life
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|