Early palliative care lowers hospital costs in patients with advanced cancer
the ONA take:
Earlier palliative care consultation during hospital admission is associated with lower cost of hospital stay for patients admitted with a diagnosis of advanced cancer, a study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology has shown.
For the prospective study, researchers collected clinical and cost data for adult patients admitted to five hospital in the United States from 2007 to 2011. The researchers identified 969 patients. Of those, 256 received a palliative care consultation and 713 received usual care only.
Results showed that a palliative care consultation within 6 days of admission is estimated to lower costs by $1,312 compared with no intervention. Researchers found that a palliative care consultation within 2 days reduced costs by $2,280. These figures correspond to a 14% and 24% decrease, respectively, in cost of hospital stay.
The findings suggest that early palliative care should be more widely adopted.
Earlier palliative care consultation during hospital admission is associated with lower cost of hospital stay.
- Study Identifies Factors Associated With Hearing Loss in Polycythemia Vera
- High Symptom Burden With Polycythemia Vera Linked to QoL Impairment
- Bioimpedence Spectroscopy Improves Early Detection of Breast Cancer-Related Lymphedema in At-Risk Patients
- Ezh2 Inhibitors May Offer Cure for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
- Ruxolitinib: A Targeted Treatment Option for Patients with Polycythemia Vera
- Overall Benefits of Vaporized Nicotine Products Outweigh Harms, Says International Panel of Experts
- Sugar and Cancer: Mitigating the Affects of Diet on Cancer
- Nurse Residency Programs Can Impact Oncology Nursing Practice, Outcomes
- Tumor Markers (Fact Sheet)
- Implementing a Distress Screening Process for Cancer Patients
- ASCO, ASTRO Issue Guideline Update for Postmastectomy RT
- Study Assesses Efficacy of Ramucirumab in HCC by Child-Pugh Score
- Incontinence Affects QOL for Survivors of Gynecologic Cancers
- Patient Navigation Reduces Delays in Diagnostic Resolution
- Fee-for-service Medicare Plans Linked to Improved Care During Last Year of Life
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|