Generic Name and Formulations:
Lanthanum carbonate 500mg, 750mg, 1000mg; chew tabs.
Shire US, Inc.
Indications for FOSRENOL:
To reduce serum phosphate in end-stage renal disease.
Take with meals. Chew or crush tabs completely before swallowing. Poor dentition or difficulty chewing tabs: consider using oral pwd form. Oral pwd: sprinkle on small quantity of applesauce or similar food and consume immediately; do not dissolve pwd in liquid for administration. Initially 1.5g/day in divided doses. Titrate at 2–3 wk intervals in increments of 750mg/day based on serum phosphate. Usual range: 1.5g–3g.
Bowl obstruction, including ileus and fecal impaction.
Chew tabs: risk of GI obstruction and perforation esp. in patients with altered GI anatomy (eg, diverticular disease, peritonitis, history of GI surgery, cancer, ulceration) and hypomotility disorders (eg, constipation, ileus, subileus, diabetic gastroparesis). Monitor serum phosphate levels. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C); not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Separate dosing of drugs that interact with antacids by 2hrs. Antagonizes quinolone antibiotics; give quinolone 1hr before or 4hrs after Fosrenol. If quinolone given for short course, consider eliminating Fosrenol doses scheduled near quinolone intake to improve quinolone absorption. Antagonizes levothyroxine; separate administration by 2hrs, monitor TSH levels. Increased risk of GI obstruction or perforation with concomitant calcium channel blockers. May interfere with abdominal x-ray.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain; serious GI effects.
Tabs 500mg patient pack (2 x 45 tabs)—1; Tabs 750mg patient pack (6 x 15 tabs)—1; Tabs 1000mg patient pack (9 x 10 tabs)—1; Oral pwd stick pack—10; Oral pwd patient pack (9 x 10 stick packs)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|