Ergotamine tartrate + Caffeine Suppositories Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ergotamine tartrate 2mg, caffeine 100mg; rectal supp.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ergotamine tartrate + Caffeine Suppositories:
Migraine, migraine variants, cluster headaches.
1 supp rectally at onset of attack, then 1 supp after 1 hour if needed; max 2 supps/attack, 5 supps/week.
Peripheral vascular disease. Coronary heart disease. Hypertension. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Sepsis. Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, erythromycin, clarithromycin, troleandomycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole) or other vasoconstrictors. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Monitor for ergotism; do not exceed recommended dose. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, protease inhibitors, macrolides, azole antifungals, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, grapefruit juice, zileuton), propranolol, nicotine. Severe hypertension with sympathomimetics.
Vasoconstrictive complications or ergotism (eg, ischemia, cold extremities, vasospasm, ECG changes, hyper- or hypotension, numbness, gangrene, dizziness), precordial or muscle pain, tachycardia, bradycardia, nausea, vomiting, local edema, itching; rarely: retroperitoneal and pleuropulmonary fibrosis, cardiac valve fibrosis (chronic use).
Supps formerly known under the brand names Cafergot, Migergot.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- A Witness to Letting Go: Nursing Care at the End of Life
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Risk for Cardiovascular Disease Higher in Survivors of Testicular Cancer
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- Age Not a Deterrent to Immunotherapy for Malignant Melanoma
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Patients With Head and Neck Cancer Have Greater Chance of Being Prescribed Opioids
- Medical Terms in Patient Education: Using the Confusing to Explain the Complicated
- Bedside Assessment Tool Improves Worst Pain in Patients With Cancer
- Androgen-Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer May Cause Nocturia, Sleep Disturbance
- USPSTF Rates Ovarian Cancer Screening a D for Asymptomatic, Low-Risk Women
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|