Generic Name and Formulations:
Dantrolene sodium 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; caps.
Indications for DANTRIUM:
Chronic spasticity due to upper motor neuron disorders (eg, spinal cord injury, stroke, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis).
Use lowest effective dose. 25mg once daily for 7 days, then 25mg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 50mg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 100mg 3 times daily; max 100mg 4 times daily.
<5yrs: not established. ≥5yrs: Use lowest effective dose. 0.5mg/kg once daily for 7 days, then 0.5mg/kg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 1mg/kg 3 times daily for 7 days, then 2mg/kg 3 times daily; max 100mg 4 times daily.
Active hepatic disease. Spasticity utilization to sustain upright posture/balance in locomotion or to obtain increased function.
Risk of hepatotoxicity (esp. females or patients >35 years, or concomitant other drugs); monitor liver function at baseline and during therapy; discontinue if hepatitis or liver abnormalities develop. History of liver disease. Pulmonary dysfunction. Severely impaired cardiac function. Discontinue if no improvement after 45 days of treatment. Avoid exposure to sunlight. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Estrogens may increase risk of hepatotoxicity. Potentiates CNS depressants (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers). Avoid concurrent verapamil (cardiovascular collapse). May potentiate vecuronium.
Muscle relaxant (local).
Drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, fatigue, diarrhea, urinary changes, tachycardia, seizures, depression; hepatotoxicity, hepatitis, photosensitivity, pleural effusion with associated eosinophilia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Managing Chemo Brain in Pediatric Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Provides No Additional Advantage in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Excretion of Volatile Organic Compounds Higher in AYAs Using Vaping Products
- FDA, ASHP Actions to Prevent or Manage Chemotherapy Drug Shortages
- Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations Not Completely Reflective of Race, Age
- Various Aspects of Palliative Care Focus Associated With Different Outcomes In Cancer
- Cost vs Benefits: The Controversy Over Proton Beam Radiotherapy
- Patient Expectations at Odds With Actual Outcomes for Radiotherapy in Breast Cancer
- Patients Desire More Online Tools and Access
- Metformin Plus Ruxolitinib: A Potential Therapeutic Alternative for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms
- Sexual Quality of Life Decreased During, After Chemotherapy for Digestive Cancers
- CHEMO-SUPPORT: A Nursing Intervention to Relieve Chemotherapy Symptom Burden
- Approach and Management of Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Immune Hepatitis
- Revised AJCC8 Demonstrates Superior Tumor Classification for HNCSCC
- Oral Androgen Receptor Inhibitor Granted FDA Approval for Nonmetastatic CRPC
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|